Subs. Hoagies. Heroes. Grinders. Whatever you call them, you’ve probably had one for lunch in the last month. However, like me, you also probably satisfy your sub craving at the Subways and Quiznos scattered across campus, and may not have noticed there’s a new player in town.

Located just down the street from the Union, nearly at the corner of Maynard and E. William, Firehouse Subs has been open since March. The joint offers students more satisfying sandwiches than its better-known chain competitors for roughly the same prices in a cooler atmosphere. Founded by actual firefighters, Firehouse spares no expense in honoring its roots.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Customers sit on fire-engine red (of course) chairs and enjoy their meals surrounded by authentic firefighting memorabilia hung from the walls, including firefighter jackets, hats and hose nozzles. The restaurant also has widescreen HD television screens, which are the perfect for watching football on the weekends or your favorite show during the week while munching on a sub.

Which leads me to the food, naturally. Firehouse’s specialties all ring up at under $9 per meal, and between $5 and $7 per sandwich. Among the most most popular of these are the “Hook and Ladder” — with smoked turkey breast, Virginia honey ham and melted Monterey Jack — and the “New York Steamer” complete with corned beef brisket, pastrami, melted provolone, mustard, mayo and Italian dressing.

Next time you have a hunkering for a hoagie or are hungry for a real hero (you get the point), skip the trip to the Union and head down the street to Firehouse Subs. You’ll be eating local, and you won’t be disappointed.

cheap

Address: 609 East William St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Hours of operation: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.