Dim Sum: originally made to serve weary rural workers in southern China, it’s now the meal for weekend mornings with friends. While the tapas-like dishes are often served from carts stacked with steaming baskets of food pushed from table to table, a waiter took our order and brought us our food when we visited White Swans Asia Caffe.

We visited White Swan around noon on a warm Sunday. From the outside, the restaurant was fairly unassuming. The inside was open and relaxed, brighter and cheerier than its curb appeal. We were seated fairly quickly at a large, round table with a lazy Susan in the center so we could share the dishes we were about to order.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

We started with tea. One of the best features of the White Swan menu is their bubble tea menu. There were plenty of flavors to choose from, including classic black tea with milk, horlick, ovaltine, papaya, honeydew, and more. If you aren’t one for tapioca, there are plenty of other options, including iced drinks with even more fruit flavor options than the bubble teas.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

We proceeded to order a LOT of food. The dishes came out a few at a time, each plate filling the gap left by what we had just finished almost immediately. Some of the highlights of the meal were the Fried Taro Dumplings, the Pork Shu Mai, and the Cruller Rice Roll.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

Another favorite at our table was the Scallion Pancakes.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

If you’re looking for something authentic or just to try something new, White Swans has your back. The Spoon member put in charge of ordering our congee chose the Pork and Thousand Year Old Egg, which is a traditional rice porridge that contains a chicken egg that has been preserved for a few weeks or months (don’t worry, it was not as old as the name suggested). Most of us thought it was pretty good, even if some found the dark color of the egg a little surprising.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

White Swan also has regular entrée style meals available, and the only one we ordered, the Beef Chow Fun, was also delicious.

Dim Sum

Photo by Oscar Beer

A budget-conscious college student should still be able to rationalize a meal here. The bubble teas and ice drinks were at most $3.25 a piece, and each dish we ordered came to about the same price as a drink. The most expensive dish we ordered was $3.50.

White Swans Asia Caffe is located in South Wedge, about a 7 minute walk from the Orange Line’s first South Wedge stop.