Finch’s Brasserie, a cozy Mediterranean-American restaurant located not even a block from the Sample gates, has been a staple on Kirkwood since 2008.

Nestled in between two of the main student hangouts: Urban Outfitters and Kilroy’s, this humble spot is perfect for any occasion. Not only is the inside décor reminiscent of a warm, comfortable Italian café, but their top rated patio makes for luxurious outdoor eating (not to mention great people watching) in the summer months.

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

With Valentine’s Day coming up, we know you have tons of options for restaurants, but not all of these restaurants come with gift cards for mind blowing food. Finch’s is giving away a $30 gift card to help one lucky broke college kid in love. Enter to win over your luvah’s heart with a tasty meal here.

Now what is a brasserie you might ask?

Bras·se·rie: A restaurant specific to Belgium that is one step above a bistro due to its formalized menu and beer they brew themselves. To be considered a brasserie the menu needs to include moules & frites, or mussels and fries, a burger and steak.

When you walk in you immediately feel as though you are walking into your best friend’s house, and her parents are cooking a delicious meal just for you. With a wood-burning oven for pizzas, and a menu hosting everything from hand-cut French fries to a macaroni & cheese that will have you begging for more, there is something here for everyone.

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Chef Jeff Finch and Candace Finch, who moved here from Vermont almost ten years ago to bring the slow food movement to Bloomington, are the masterminds behind Finch’s. As Candace said in her interview, “Service is a dying art and I wanted to show that good service does not only have to be available for the wealthy.”

At the end of the day, food is not only about sustenance, it is how we cultivate relationships with each other. By perfectly pacing their courses and committing to use fresh, local ingredients, they remind their patrons that dining out is an experience to be cherished.

While this rare value of service is something special to Finch’s, the most unique aspect of Finch’s, according to Candace, is the community that resides within it. Every person who walks into Finch’s is brought into the family and is treated with the same love, kindness and quality that they have come to know when they walk into their family’s homes.

Whether you are with your significant other, your parents, your closest group of friends, or even a professor, Finch’s is the place to go. It is the perfect setting for a night of attempted classiness with their vast array of wine and a local cheese plates, or a place to grab a beer from their eclectic menu and some duck wings before heading off to Assembly Hall to watch #iubb kick some ass.

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Between their small plates, entrees, and desserts there is never a time Finch’s would not be the right choice. They also have one of the best deals out there for college kids on a budget: All-day Wednesday they offer buy one get one 50% off pizzas.

Starters Guide to Finch’s: 

To Start With: Moules de Jour, the mussel recipe changes every day depending on how creative the chef is feeling and is served with their incredible hand cut frites

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

To make you realize that not all pizza is created equal: The Dordogne, which has truffle honey (I didn’t even know this was a thing!!!), four cheeses and prosciutto di parma

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

To transport you straight to Morocco: Lamb & Fig Pasta with onions, lemon, ginger and cinnamon all topped over freshly made pasta

Finch's Brasserie

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

To indulge your sweet tooth: Chocolate Pots De Crème with fresh whipped cream and espresso.

Be sure to like Finch’s Brasserie on Facebook to keep up with all their new specials

Cost:

Expensive

Location: 514 East Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47408
Hours of Operation: Lunch Menu: 11:30-3:00, Dinner Menu: 5:00-10:00, Closed Sundays