Fat Sandwich. The name says it all. Any greasy, deep-fried, artery clogging food you could possibly think of can be piled into one of these outrageous sandwiches. Most students say that Fat Sandwich is only good drunk or high; when eaten otherwise… it’s just gross. So, I set out on a mission to see if that rumor is true and did what most men never dare to do: eat a Fat Sandwich menu item completely sober.

When I first walked in, my nose was hit with the overwhelming smell of fried food. But isn’t that exactly what a beat-up dive with a thrifty looking pinball machine is expected to smell like? With so many options of sandwiches, I asked the cashier to give me some advice. “Anything with the word ‘fat’ in it is good” were his words of wisdom. I decided to get what he claimed was the most popular: The Fat Milf. This monster is filled with cheesesteak, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, bacon, mayo, ketchup and to top it off, fries. The sandwich was a combination of every late night craving a college student could ever possibly have and, in that sense, it was satisfying. But because it is essentially five meals in one sandwich, it was so filling that I got to the point where I wanted to puke. Half way through The Fat Milf, I came to the conclusion that the rumor is, in fact, true: Fat Sandwich is not a restaurant that you need to eat at for any meal other than a late night snack under the influence.

cheap

Address: 502 E. John St., Champaign, IL

Hours of operation: Mon-Sun 11am-3am