I'll admit it, Açaí bowls were all the rage in 2016. Healthy food that tastes and looks good? That's one trend I can get behind. Green Peel, Loyola's on-campus juice and smoothie bar, is finally serving Açaí bowls (pronounced ah-sigh-ee), and it's something to be excited about. If you haven't already, you need to try these bowls that are perfect for breakfast, lunch, a little snack, or even for dinner. 

What exactly is an açaí bowl? 

Açaí bowls are thick, blended smoothies that are made from the Açaí berry and other fruit poured into a bowl, topped with granola and more fresh fruit. Açaí is a superfood that is filled with antioxidants that contain healthy Omega-3's and help maintain brain and body health. Açaí bowls originated in Brazil, but thankfully they have finally made their way up to the U.S.

I get it, Açaí is not an easy word to pronounce. Don't let that scare you away! All of the bowls were created by sophomore Loyola student intern, Joanna Messina, who nailed the flavors for all 6 of the blended bowls. After seeing how good all of these look, there's no way you won't be running across campus to get one.

All of the Açaí bowls at Green Peel (with the exception of the Protein Power Bowl) start with a base of Sambazon Açaí mix, banana, and coconut water. Healthy, vegan, and oh-so-delicious. Here's all of the different combinations:

1. Berry Blast Bowl

yogurt, oat, oatmeal, cornflakes, sweet, blueberry, milk, strawberry, berry, corn, cereal, granola, muesli
Nikki D'Ambrosio

The Berry Blast Bowl is a good bowl for those who have never tried Açaí. It's kind of like getting vanilla ice cream; delicious, but safe (trust me, there's nothing wrong with playing it safe.) This bowl is topped with granola, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. According to Lindsay Winn, the Marketing manager for Loyola Dining, the Berry Blast is a Loyola favorite.

2. Islander Bowl

cereal, corn, muesli, rice
Nikki D'Ambrosio

The Islander Bowl holds a special place in my heart. It was the first bowl I tried at Green Peel, and it continues to be my favorite. On warm, sunny days, take this bowl out on the quad to feel like you're right on the beach. This bowl is topped with granola, pineapple, mango, and coconut. For those with an exotic palette, or for those like me counting down the days until summer, the Islander Bowl is a must.

3. Protein Power Bowl

honey, granola, nut, muesli, sweet, cereal
Nikki D'Ambrosio

The Protein Power Bowl is perfect for all of those workout junkies looking for a yummy post-workout snack. This one has protein powder added in the base as well as granola, soy butter, banana, and almonds on top. I was slightly skeptical about the soy butter, but it tastes like creamy peanut butter with a saltier aftertaste. After trying all of the bowls, I'd say this is the runner-up for my favorite.

4. Peanut Butter Bowl

cereal, muesli, honey, granola, banana
Nikki D'Ambrosio

Ah, the Peanut Butter Bowl. How can you go wrong with banana, chocolate chips, honey, granola, and peanut butter? You can't. It's basically a "healthy" version of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup - stop reading and just go get it. You won't regret your decision.

5. Healthy Hound Bowl

milk, oatmeal, wheat, oat, strawberry, corn, granola, muesli, cereal
Nikki D'Ambrosio

The Healthy Hound bowl includes one of my favorite superfoods - chia seeds. Chia seeds are packed with fiber, protein, and fatty acids. The chia seeds are accompanied by fresh strawberries, mango, and granola. This is one dessert you don't have to feel guilty about.

6. Parfait Bowl

fruit salad, milk, blueberry, cereal, berry, strawberry, yogurt, granola, muesli
Nikki D'Ambrosio

The cool thing about the Parfait Bowl is that you get to pick your own fruits. Don't like strawberries? Not a problem. Don't like pineapple? Great, you can choose something else. The Parfait Bowl is topped with granola and greek yogurt and your choice of three different fruits. The only tough thing about this bowl is deciding what fruit you want. 

#SpoonTip Maybe if you ask nicely enough, they'll let you add some extra fruit

I like to think of myself as an Açaí bowl connoisseur. When I heard that Green Peel was going to start serving Açaí bowls, I knew I was going to have to reroute my meal points that were going toward my Starbucks addiction to my new Green Peel Açaí bowl addiction. I am happy to say that Green Peel's new additions live up to my expectations, and after trying all of the flavors, there's not one that will disappoint. So the next time you find yourself ordering a smoothie or juice at Green Peel, step out of your comfort zone and try one of the Açaí bowls instead.

Be sure to check out @LoyolaDining on Instagram and Twitter for more information on these yummy treats and possible upcoming specials that Green Peel will be offering.