Despite the multitude of restaurants and cafés in Bloomington, none says “Classy Hoosier” as well as the Scholars Inn. And now you have a chance to win a romantic dinner for 2 for Valentine’s Day at this Hoosier hotspot, With Love, From Spoon.

Started by two Indiana University graduates, the owners built the name Scholars Inn from scratch; starting from a humble Bed and Breakfast in 1996, in which housed the piano Hoagie Carmichael practiced on to further his musical career. The owners, Kerry and Lyle, eventually went on to expand, and obtained the Scholars Inn Café and the Scholars Inn Bakery.

Scholars Inn

Photo Courtesy of Visit Bloomington

The Café has two floors, the bottom displays early 19th century Indiana architecture, with French doors and homey interior design. The second floor is a more modern take, with private velvet booths and a modern and well-stocked bar. When it gets warm, the Café opens up the deck to live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, making the Café the place to be.

Scholars Inn

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Of course what makes the Café so exceptional is their wonderful food and their signiture martinis. One of the many benefits of having so many different culinary tools under one name is that Scholars Inn is able to exclusively use their own products to craft their dishes.

Chef Drew Nickless has created one of the most unique menus in Bloomington that is guaranteed to have something for everyone. From beguiling brunches to dazzling dinners, Scholars Inn has it all, and will please the pickiest of eaters.

Start your meal off with the Baked Brie, which features fresh Brie wrapped in a delicate pastry, topped with seasonal fruit compote and served with gourmet crackers. Scholars Inn manages to reinvent this classic appetizer with their one-of-a-kind fruit compote and carefully selected crackers.

While Scholars Inn has an amazing array of main courses, they are best known for their juicy steaks. Their aged filet mignon always steals the show, and their sides, creamy macaroni and cheese, whipped horseradish potatoes and more come in a close second.

Scholars Inn

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

For example, the Café’s Sundae utilizes toppings that are all homemade from their granola to their caramel, allowing them to control their quality. You can still taste some of their classic desserts that have remained unchanged throughout the years.

Apple crumble, Crème Brulee, cheesecakes, sherbet, sundae, and chocolate Pâté have remained on their menu since they’ve started. Simply writing chocolate Pâté has me craving their signature dessert. The Pâté has a dense and rich chocolate goodness with a divine chocolate shell underneath. It is dressed with flakes of buttery white chocolate, two crème sauces and paired with wonderful, tarty blackberries that invite you back into the Pâté.

Scholars Inn

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

A friend told me that Scholars Inn Café is where you bring someone you want to impress. What more can I say? I was impressed.

Cost: 

Expensive

Location: 717 North College Avenue Bloomington, IN 47404
Hours of Operation: Dinner 7 Days a Week and Sunday Brunch

Check out these related articles: