The school year is winding down and June is fast approaching; with it comes the inevitable summer heat wave. Of course, this is Eugene, Oregon and that heat wave is usually bookended with periods of intense and random rain, making the heat waves a little more bearable. However, on days when the sun is beating down on you and your body is dripping in sticky, uncomfortably embarrassing sweat, the only thing that matters is cooling off immediately. Here are a couple of hot spots right off campus where you can stock up on refreshments to make that sun a little more bearable.

Dutch Bros

Untitled

Photo by Inness Cheng

One of the perks of going to school in Oregon is never being too far away from an always reliable Dutch Bros stand. Known for their coffee, Dutch Bros is also a reliable spot for smoothies and other delicious drinks. Nothing hits the spot on a hot day like a green apple smoothie with caramel; a little on the pricey side but so worth it.

7-11

Untitled

Photo by Inness Cheng

Ah, good old “Sev-Lev”; one of the most recognizable brands in America. For less than two dollars, you can get far more ounces of refreshing slushie goodness than your body could ever need. On a hot day try going with blue raspberry, or coke with a little bit of cherry flavor mixed in. Honestly, it’s nearly impossible to mess up a Slurpee unless you do that thing the kids like to do; mix together all the flavors and call it a “suicide.” That’s a surefire way to ruin your Slurpee.

Dairy Queen

IMG_9575_CC

Photo by Inness Cheng

Having a Dairy Queen on campus is a life saver when it’s 90 degrees; DQ has it all. Delicious soft-serve ice cream? Check. Refreshing slushies? Check. Ice cream covered in hot fudge, cookie dough and other toppings that aren’t remotely refreshing but unbelievably tasty? Check, check and check. Dairy Queen is a staple in American society when it comes to refreshing food and drink and we’re lucky enough to have one right on campus.

So, when the heat approaches unbearable levels and just walking to class seems like a massive struggle, try to look at the bright side. At least it gives us an opportunity to indulge in Slurpees, smoothies and ice cream and feel a little less guilty about it. We have to cool off somehow, right?