Sorry folks, the days of home-cooked meals are far gone. Getting used to dining hall food wasn’t an easy journey, but luckily, JMU has two kick-ass dining halls on both sides of campus.

East Campus versus Quad-side. Rose versus Carrier. JMU is practically obsessed with pitting the different sides of campus against each other. But the real rivalry lies between E-Hall and D-Hall. Here, I take a look at both to see which truly is the superior all-you-can-eat dining hall.

For Breakfast

e-hall

Photo by Jake Toth

D-Hall takes the win on this one. Every morning, they’re serving up yummy pancakes, eggs, potatoes, and various meats. The real shining star is the omelet station, where with a little slip of paper, you can create the omelet of your dreams. (Check this out for how to make your own dank omelet at home).

D-Hall for breakfast is rarely crowded, allowing you to greet the day calmly. And if you’re looking for something sweet, D-Hall always is serving fresh pastries like cinnamon rolls and banana bread loafs in the morning.

For Brunch

e-hall

Photo by Jake Toth

E-Hall owns the brunch scene. There’s nothing better than dragging yourself to E-hall on Sunday morning with your entire dorm to discuss the events of the previous evening.

Brunch is absolutely poppin’ at E-Hall. Students line up for the puffy French toast and crispy bacon strips. What’s even better is the abundance of other food available to you, like fresh pizza, pasta, and the salad bar. Peep these brunch foods for the best way to cure your hangover.

For Lunch

e-hall

Photo by Paige Stickevers

Back to D-Hall we go. Everyone is at D-Hall for lunch. You are guaranteed to see everyone you know; it’s like a party in the dining hall and everyone is invited.

Favorites include Wednesday’s “Buffalo Mash,” chicken strips over mashed potatoes with your choice of hot sauce, green onions, and sour cream. Once you have your first bowl, you won’t be able to stop. D-Hall also has a quick-moving sandwich line where the nice ladies behind the counter will make whatever sandwich your heart desires. Good looks.

For Dinner

e-hall

Photo by Paige Stickevers

This one’s a tie. Both offer amazing, unique options. E-Hall has a great pasta creation station where you can make any kind of pasta you want. They also have a great Indian station, with fresh naan and hummus. NOMZ. BTW–science has proven why Indian food is freaky good.

On the other hand, D-Hall has all of your southern comfort favorites served up daily, like honey BBQ chicken and hearty beef stew. Both halls offer great vegan and vegetarian dishes, too.

For Dessert

e-hall

Photo by Paige Stickevers

While some might argue that D-Hall wins, if only because of the peanut butter pie. Alas, E-Hall takes the cake, this time. With pastry chefs hailing from Disney World, E-Hall is famous for their unique rotation of desserts. They also offer up a selection of fresh ice cream with seasonal flavors. #ByeSummerBod

The winner?

D-Hall. Though both dining options are great, D-Hall will forever be the underdog and favorite of JMU students. Too bad JMU is knocking it down forever. Until then, D-HALL FOREVAH.