To all my Tallahassee foodies, I think I just discovered the answer to all of your prayers. Make sure to thank me later.

As a native from Jacksonville, I’ve always been stuck with the usual tiresome donut options like Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme. Out of habit, I would follow my simple routine of going through the drive-through before my long day of classes and ordering a stale glazed donut that was nothing short of unappetizing.

Courtesy of Donut Kingdom

I grew tired of the typical cookie-cutter menu options like the “vanilla with sprinkles”, and the bland “chocolate” donut that lacked any kind of excitement. I always desired something more, but I just couldn’t find a place in the area that met my donut loving needs.

It wasn’t until I started my first semester here at Florida State University that I found pure joy and happiness in the donut world. Just right in front of campus on West Tennessee Street is one of the best additions to the Tallahassee area (at least in the dessert world.)

Courtesy of Donut Kingdom

Donut Kingdom opened up here six years ago with its amazing additions of unique donut options and delicious coffee. When I first saw the establishment, I’ll admit, I was a little sketched out. I immediately thought it would taste gross and that I should just stick to my regular main-stream donut options and not even give this one a second look. Boy, was I wrong.

Immediately after walking into Donut Kingdom and being greeted by the sweet aroma, I knew I would be a regular customer. The local shop offers a mixture of Glazed Donuts, donuts holes, single cake donuts, frosted donuts and many famous rare flavors like pumpkin spice cake, Twix, and Maple Bacon that are unique to them and will have you coming back for more!

Photo by Elyse Carley

Folks, I’m not being dramatic when I say that when I bit into my first glazed donut my taste buds were sent on a magical journey. It was extremely refreshing to bite into a donut that was so moist, soft and most importantly…fresh. Not only is the restaurant equipped with smiling faces and upbeat workers, but the prices are something to rave about as well.

Photo by Elyse Carley

On a normal day, I can walk into the business and order a specialty donut along with a 16 oz. coffee and it could cost anywhere from $4-$5. It’s so worth it and considering its thick size, you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck. They do an extremely well job at experimenting with various flavors, toppings, fillings and providing an overall great selection of yummy donuts.

Photo by Elyse Carley

Although they have many specialty donuts like the delicious blueberry and pancake donuts, my favorite one is the simple classic: chocolate glazed. This appetizing treat offers an uncanny take on the classic, coated with the right amount of glaze balanced by the underlying layer of sweet chocolate. It’s always made fresh by their staff so it’s completely soft to the touch. After just one bite into this scrumptious donut you’ll instantly be begging for more.

Photo by Elyse Carley

My second go-to Donut is the Red Velvet. If you’re a fan of Red Velvet snacks, I promise you that this one will not disappoint. This tasty treat resembles the donut-version of the popular cake recipe that you beg your grandmother to make. This one is a must-try that will leave your taste buds tingling and wondering why you hadn’t tried it sooner.

Courtesy of Donut Kingdom

Besides my two favorite Donuts, the menu also offers Maple Glazed, Caramel Apple with Peanuts , Cinnamon Apple, Bavarian Kreme, Strawberry Filled and much more. Oh, and for all of you night owls, don’t worry…the local joint stays open pretty late. So if you’re thinking about eating some Donuts, give Donut Kingdom a chance because I guarantee you that you won’t regret it.