Chaia is what all the foodies are talking about these days. It’s a start-up company that sells vibrant tacos with handmade corn tortillas at farmers markets in the DC area. These mouth-watering tacos are full of flavor, and not to mention, absolutely beautiful. Lucky for us, Chaia will be coming to the GU farmer’s market every Wednesday this spring.

chaia

Photo courtesy of www.chaiadc.com

Having had over a decade of experience as food writers and educators, Chaia’s founders seek to present a unique “Farm to Taco” model, through which they offer seasonal vegetable tacos that are made with locally sourced ingredients and sustainable green kitchen practices. These tacos use only the freshest ingredients so you can feel good about ingesting a meal that is not only healthy, but ethical as well. What’s not to love?

The tacos are sold in trios for $10. Customers also have the option of purchasing individual tacos for $3.50 a piece. In case you’re curious about the menu, here are some of the tacos they’ve offered before:

• Creamy braised chard, potato and green sauce
  • Skillet charred corn with green chilies, queso and herbs
  • Market mushrooms with feta and red sauce
  • Garlicky greens, goat cheese and pickled red onion
  • Zucchini with olio picante, farmstead cheese and radishes
chaia

Photo courtesy of www.chaiadc.com

Chaia has been praised in both the local and national press. Check this out:

• Chaia’s vegetarian fare bests even the most flavorful fish or steak tacos.”
- Washingtonian
  • “Trying to find the Chaia taco stand at farmers market? Just look for the longest line.” -The Washington Post named Chaia one of DC’s Top 9 Tastemakers
  • Bill Yosses, former executive pastry chef at the White House, is said to have developed quite the obsession with these tacos.”
-Zagat

Ok so if we hadn’t made it clear that these tacos are incredibly delicious, the fact that a White House chef loves them should make you want to be the first person in line at the Chaia stand this Wednesday.

chaia

Photo courtesy of www.chaiadc.com

And since you’re going to love Chaia tacos so much, chances are you’re going to start wanting them more than once a week at the GU famers market. Good thing Chaia will be opening their first shop this June, on 3207 Grace street, NW in Georgetown. We don’t know about you, but that’s where we’ll be eating every day this summer.

So mark your calendar and get ready for game-changing Chaia tacos this Wednesday from 12:00 – 5:30 pm in Red Square. We promise you won’t regret it.

Check out their website: http://www.chaiadc.com/our-tacos/
Check out their blog: http://www.chaiadc.com/chaia-blog/

chaia

Photo courtesy of www.chaiadc.com