“Food. Grow it. Gather it. Select it. Prepare it. Most importantly, consume it. Food is culture. “

The folks at Cava Grill have got it down.  They’ve figured out the secret to happiness, and have harnessed it in the form of fantastic Mediterranean food.

Cava Grill

Cava Founders, Ike Grigoropoulos, Chef Dimitri Moshovitis, and Ted Xenohristos
Photo courtesy of Cava Grill

Spoon got the chance to catch up with the Brand Strategist from Cava Grill, Nikki Rappaport, who is also an SMPA ’09 alum.

Originally founded by three childhood friends who are first-generation Greek Americans, Cava Mezze, and now Cava Grill, mean serious business. Cava Mezze is a full service restaurant, while Cava Grill offers a build-your-meal style menu with foods that are all featured at Cava Mezze.

Nikki tells us, “The food and recipes at Cava Grill come from the menu at the full-service restaurant, family recipes, and healthy favorites. All of these recipes come together in our open kitchen, where everything is cooked and prepared daily, including our seasonal soups and juices, grilled and braised proteins, dressings, falafel.”

Cava Grill

Photo courtesy of Cava Grill

Last week, Cava Grill opened its newest restaurant in the Montgomery Mall in Maryland, marking its 8th location—the 3rd this fall.  In the next six months, Cava Grill will be opening two more locations—including one in Reagan National Airport.  In each location, Cava teams up with local farms, food producers and neighborhood organizations to boost the local economy and foster a community atmosphere.  They even teamed up with local D.C. bakery, Whisked!, to bring you a tasty treat for dessert.

What does Nikki recommend from Cava Grill? The green and grains bowl, which includes half salad greens and half mix of brown or white rice. The Spoon team gave it a whirl and fell in love with the ‘crazy feta’ as well.

Another added bonus for those of us close to Whole Foods is that Cava has a full selection of dips and sauces for purchase.  Nikki loves “the tzatziki and harissa – the cool and spicy combo go so well together.”

Cava Grill

Photo courtesy of Cava Grill

Check out Nikki’s awesome blog, Cupcakes for Breakfast, and follow her on twitter to get the latest Cava deets and some fantastic recipe ideas!

Cava Grill

Photo courtesy of Nikki Rappaport

The closest Cava Grill location to Foggy Bottom is in Chinatown.

average

Location: 707 H St NW, Washington DC 20001
Hours of Operation: Daily, 11am-10pm