I have been vegan for over a year, and still, one of the toughest things is finding a place to stop roadside in the middle of nowhere and have a substantial meal. When all your friends are running to Zaxby's or McDonald's, where is a lonely vegan or vegetarian (or health conscious person) to go? The answer, believe it or not, is Denny's. 

Why?

Not only do they have something for everybody, but they are usually open 24/7. This means it makes a great early morning, late night, or anytime destination. It will always be an option! (Also their Tumblr is ridiculous.) But most importantly, they have a delicious and nutritious veggie burger on their menu that you can customize however you want. 

I never expected that Denny's would be one of the most vegan friendly fast food places, but one visit proved me so wrong. I was tired of subsisting on fries and sad iceberg lettuce salads while my friends stuffed themselves with actual food. 

sauce
Darya Mack

This veggie burger has become my go to on road trips as I always forget to pack enough food on the road and end up getting hungry. Also, when everyone is stopping to eat fast food, you want to be part of the fun too.

Guide to Ordering

Now for the details on the best-kept vegan fast food secret. You can order the brioche or the whole wheat bun (or cheddar bun if you eat cheese). Then you add the veggie patty. The veggie patty that they use is actually Amy's brand, which you may have seen in stores in the frozen veggie section. 

The veggie patty is everything you could ever want: it actually keeps its shape and won't fall apart on you, which can be an issue with veggie burgers. It also tastes amazing, but won't overwhelm the other flavors in your burger. It goes with any topping you want to put on it. 

Now the fun part: toppings! You can top your burger with caramelized onions, sliced jalapeños, mayo, BBQ sauce, or bourbon sauce and these toppings are all free. For one dollar per topping you can also add avocado or sautéed mushrooms. They also have a selection of cheeses if you like. 

My Signature Combination

My favorite order is the whole wheat bun with caramelized onions, jalapeños, BBQ sauce, and avocado. Then I upgrade the regular fries to seasoned fries because I love a lot of flavor in my food. If I am really hungry I ask to make the burger a double so I get two patties. This is a hefty meal and keeps me full all day!

Darya Mack

Denny's actually has quite an extensive list of other great options for vegans and vegetarians, or those trying to eat more healthy. I personally think that the burger is the way to go, as it is the best bang for your buck, pretty nutritious depending on your choice of toppings, and so delicious!

Even my very-non-vegan brother is a fan; he stole half of my burger!

pizza, beer
Darya Mack