If you read my last article, you’ll know where to go in San Francisco if you’re looking for cafes that were movie sets for some classic old movies. They’re the perfect places to people watch, but if you want somewhere fancier to take your soulmate for a date (hopefully he/she loves movies as much as you do), I’d recommend Cafe Zoetrope.

cafe zoetrope

Photo by Helen Poon

Cafe Zoetrope is a cool place for movie lovers, aspiring screenwriters, couples or all of the above because of two reasons.

1) It’s owned by Francis Coppola, an Oscarwinning film director, producer and screenwriter. Yes, that’s the guy who directed The Godfather and wrote a screenplay for The Godfather IIhe’s basically the godfather of all gangster movies.

2) As Cafe Zoetrope imitates vintage European style interior design, you’ll feel like you’re in one of those classy romance movies in the ’50s, a glamorous time before 27 Dresses and He’s Just Not That Into You. It’s the perfect environment to impress your boyfriend/girlfriend with your slightly snobby and very hipster movie taste. You just can’t compare Before Sunset to What Happens In Vegas, am I right or am I right?

cafe zoetrope

Photo by Helen Poon

However, even if you’re not a movie fanatic, you can still enjoy the food in Cafe Zoetrope. Although it’s famous for authentic Italian cuisine, personally, I think its all-day brunch options are better. Its waffles are impeccable; combined with crispy bacon and poached eggs, the dish is simply divine. For people who have a sweet tooth like me, you’re in luck. The Belgian waffles come with poached pears, while the maple syrup enhances the sweetness. For those who are over twenty-one, Cafe Zoetrope specializes in various kinds of wine. You can also walk two blocks after dinner to Vesuvio Cafe, which was the movie set for So I Married An Axe MurderI mean, what’s a better excuse to spend more time with your lovely date?

cafe zoetrope

Photo by Helen Poon

average

Location: 916 Kearny, San FranciscoCA 94133
Hours of operation: Sun 12pm-9pm, Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm