If you’re looking for some heat this winter, Korean spicy hot wings are what you need.

Being a Texas girl, it is difficult to find spicy food in New England that is worthy of my born and raised standards. Everyone loves some good hot wings, but let me tell you that if your nose isn’t running, you aren’t sweating and you don’t need five drink refills, then you’re doing it all wrong.

I was doubtful that I could find the authentic spicy food I’m so used to at home here in Boston, but I was proven wrong.

wings

Photo by Paige Twombly

When the waiter at Bonchon put the delicious pile of Korean spicy hot wings in front of me, I knew that this wing experience would be different than others. At first look, they weren’t dripping in sauce, which is awesome considering how an abundance of hot wing sauce is a pain to get off your hands. Seriously, there aren’t enough wet wipes in the world.

wings

Photo by Paige Twombly

One bite and I knew that these wings lived up to their name. First of all, the meat fell right off the bone and the wings were fried to absolute perfection. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t shed a tear. Really. Not to mention, the wings came with a bucket for the bones, which gets Bonchon some serious brownie points.

But getting to the most important question: are the wings sufficiently spicy? The spiciness doesn’t even hit right away but when it does, grab your napkin in one hand to wipe your nose and your drink to chug in the other hand. I am not kidding when I say that even my throat was burning. But what’s rad about these Korean wings is that they aren’t just plain spicy, they’re sweet and packed with flavor.

wings

Photo by Paige Twombly

If you’ve stuck to Sunday-Night-Football-wings your whole life, try these out for a change, you don’t know what you’re missing.

Pro tip: Do NOT drink water when eating spicy foods. Water spreads the spiciness all over your tongue and makes the heat worse. Drink a soda or even ideally, milk. You’re welcome in advance.

average

Address: 123 Brighton Ave #300, Allston, MA 02134
Hours: Mon-Sun, 11:45 am to 12 am

Looking for more great eats?