Anyone with a sweet tooth in Boston would agree that there are more than enough bakeries to curb your cravings in just about every neighborhood. And when it comes to cupcakes, we just can’t say no. There are hundreds of ways to get your hands on a cupcake when you want one — including the “just-add-water” box mixes from CVS (guilty) — but there are a couple of renowned bakeries that battle to win Bostonians’ sugar craving hearts.

cupcake

Photo by Laura Bailey

Georgetown Cupcake, named after its DC roots, offers pretty much any flavor you could wish for. Plus, the cupcakes are so beautifully crafted that you almost won’t want to take a bite. Almost. And at just $3.25 each, it’s pretty easy to walk away with a half dozen before you know what hit you.

cupcake

Photo by Laura Bailey

Sweet Bakery is the second big player in Boston with five locations in and around the city. This place welcomes you in with its hole-in-the-wall feel, and has you torn between all its wild flavors, like Piña Colada and Chocolate Chip Pancake. Plus, with great lifestyle options like vegan cupcakes, sports team and movie-themed cupcakes, and — get this — pup-cakes for your furry friend, you’ll be a regular at this shop before you know it.

cupcake

Photo by Laura Bailey

So which one wins best cupcake in Boston?

It’s a tough call, but Georgetown has won me over. With a Sweet Bakery location right down the street from my office, I was always an advocate for their wacky flavors and mouthwatering treats. But Georgetown takes the cake (haha) on this one.

cupcake

Photo by Laura Bailey

Georgetown offers at least double the flavors, and the presentation is flawless. The cupcakes are just a little bit smoother, and their cream cheese frosting is unbeatable. And with locations all over the country, you’re never far from this little slice of heaven. After one cupcake (or two, or three…) I was sold.

Even though Georgetown now has my heart (… and my stomach), I encourage every Bostonian to hit both bakeries — and every other one in between — next time they find themselves craving a frosted cakey dessert. It’s impossible to go wrong with a cupcake, and these places are sure to leave you wanting more.