We’ve all heard about New York’s bagels. Natives stand by their superiority, and the rest of the world stands by and drools over the Instagrams from Brooklyn Bagels.

Although those same natives won’t want to admit it, Boston has a bagel joint that could rival or even put to shame some of these classic establishments. Only founded in 2013, Bagelsaurus took the city by storm and now has lines stretching out of the store daily.

I can’t imagine surviving last year’s tundra without my weekly (often biweekly) trip to Bagelsaurus. Even though I’d love nothing more than to keep my little haven a secret, ethically I must disclose to you all what you have been missing out on.

bagel

Photo by Claire Dinhut

Not only do these bagels have a perfect crisp outer layer on the oustide, but they also have that desired chewy and tender inside. The bagel flavors vary greatly, from plain to pretzel to even black olive (my personal favorite).

Comparably, their spreads do not disappoint. One can choose from a variety of cream cheeses, butters, and vegan options.

bagel

Photo by Claire Dinhut

They also have incredible specialty sandwiches. The “classic jumbo” featured above is the perfect egg sandwich with melted cheddar and mustard butter. I chose to add roasted tomatoes to my sandwich, which in my opinion gives it that extra oomph.

The other specialty sandwich I ordered was their “hot smoked” featured below which consists of salmon, cream cheese, green apples, capers and parsley. Personally, I’m a bigger fan of lox so I tend to stay away from their cooked salmon and try other options.

bagel

Photo by Claire Dinhut

Pro Tips

Can’t Miss: Honestly, a trip to Bagelsaurus isn’t complete without trying the scallion cream cheese. It is by far the best cream cheese I’ve ever tasted. I probably shouldn’t publicize this, but I could probably sit with a tub and devour it all with a spoon – no bagel necessary. And the coffee makes the perfect pairing.

When to go: Get there before 11 am on weekends, even if that means setting an alarm. I promise it’s worth it. Getting there afterwards means risking your favorite flavor being sold out. And the rest of your day (or week) being ruined. They’re also closed on Mondays, so don’t make the same mistake I did last year and suffer through a whirlwind of snow only to see an empty store.