Don’t be fooled by the name — BOBO Drinks, an enterprise started by famous Vietnamese singer Dan Truong (whose nickname was Bobo), is more than just your average boba tea shop.

With a menu boasting over 100 food and drink options — including everything from classic boba milk tea, healthy, fruit-filled drinks, the innovative and delicious toast box — every guest is bound to find something they will love.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

This particular Berkeley store, run by business partners Mindy Khoo (pictured below) and Nora Aung, aims to cater to the college atmosphere of Berkeley.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

Upon entering the store, we were greeted with a warm and cheerful welcome by the cashier. Splashes of color seems to be a motif that extends throughout the store from the bright walls to the menu items, all bursting with flavor and color from fresh, local produce.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

One such menu item is their Taro Milk Tea, incredibly creamy with just the right amount of sweetness. But if sweet isn’t your thing, BOBO will reduce the sweetness levels of all teas at your request. Every drink comes in a BOBO personalized mason jar if you drink it in-store (can you say adorable?).

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

Another colorful and extra creamy treat is their unique Avocado Shake. It’s thick, refreshing and velvety, complete with boba tapioca pearls and a dollop of whipped cream. This drink may sound a little abnormal, but try it once and you will be hooked.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

Want something a little lighter? BOBO has a section of healthy drink options including their Happy Heart Jar. Crisp, refreshing and full of fresh fruit, it looks like a party in a mason jar.

Beyond drinks, BOBO offers a delicious menu serving items beyond the usual boba shop favorites such as popcorn chicken and fries. Each of the BOBO storefronts across California brings something different to the table, and Berkeley’s BOBO Drinks specializes in Burmese food. Trust us, they excel at it.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

One authentic Burmese dish that Spoon had the pleasure of sampling was their Tea Leaf Salad. Consisting of a medley of roasted peanuts, garlic, sesame seeds, dried shrimp and fermented tea leaf from Burma, this salad is as unique as it is flavorful.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

Every menu item is beautiful and special in its own right, but the real show-stopper of our visit was — without a doubt — the toast box. A literal box of sweet, pillowy toast filled (and topped) with fresh fruits and ice cream and garnished with an Oreo, this BOBO specialty has to be our personal favorite.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

It’s big enough to share, but complete their “Toast Box Challenge” (finishing a whole toast box in under 10 minutes), and BOBO will give you your next toast box free and give a free drink to the homeless. You’ll even get your own Polaroid on the wall of fame to commemorate your accomplishment.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

This unique boba shop offers a 20% off discount to Cal students, which is appreciated because, you know, we’re broke but still want to fuel our boba addiction. To claim this discount, simply show your student ID. BOBO also caters and has the capacity to host small parties, meetings and gatherings.

bobo drinks

Photo by Luna Zhang

With plenty of options for food and drink, stellar customer service and an amazing atmosphere, BOBO Drinks is the ideal spot for hungry college students. We at Spoon encourage you to stop by to try a drink, taste their delicious food and experience the fun vibes that BOBO has to offer.