Having only a limited time in Baltimore, I made a list of all the hot spots I have to hit while I’m living here. Blue Moon Cafe was at the top of the list, and let me tell you, that shiz is off the charts without a doubt. The cafe’s self-proclaimed “Badass Breakfast” truly captures the experience in a nutshell. Couldn’t have said it better myself. The most popular menu item is their Captain Crunch Encrusted French Toast. Need I say more?

baltimore

Photo by Sara Brown

There was an hour long wait to sit a table of two, but lemme tell you, it was well worth every minute. Once we sat down, the service was speedy. We’re talkin’ unlimited coffee refills and even to-go cups for your caffeine fix on the way out. Our food appeared so quickly I didn’t have time to mentally prepare for this steamy homemade cinnamon roll when it arrived.

And when the french toast made its debut, I was speechless. But hey, don’t take my word for it – this place was given the stamp of approval from Guy Fieri and was featured on Food Network’s Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. Watch for yourself here.

baltimore

Photo by Sara Brown

The space is a small, cozy, eccentric dining room. The tables are hand-painted and the walls are painted with galaxy murals. The coolest decoration with artsy dishes to match. To further spread the love, there’s not only one location, but now two. For double the trouble, Blue Moon Too is the sister cafe of this Baltimore favorite, and is shown below. Did I mention they’re open 24 hours on weekends?

baltimore

Photo courtesy of google.com

If sweet isn’t your thing, they also have a savory French toast option which was Frito encrusted, topped with chorizo, black beans, cheese, tomatoes and homemade salsa. Or try their other bestseller, the Sweet Baby Jesus. Just close your eyes and imagine scarfing this down after a night out with friends:

baltimore

Photo courtesy of Blue Moon Cafe on Facebook

Sweet Baby Jesus is right. And that’s exactly what the name of this bad boy is when you order it. Starting with a base of crispy hash browns, piled with jumbo lump crab seasoned with the one and only Old Bay, freshly diced tomatoes, cheese and generously topped with a spicy hollandaise sauce.

I mean come on, they don’t call themselves badass breakfasts for nothing. Moral of the story is whether you’re from Baltimore or not, it’s clearly worth the trip for a pit stop at Blue Moon Cafe or Blue Moon Too. Or hey, maybe both.