Walking into Blu Boy on a cold December night somehow made it that much more cozy and quaint. The Bloomington chocolatier, located on the legendary Kirkwood Avenue, is home to a wide range of delicious desserts. Coffee, chocolates, cake, ice cream—Blu Boy has it all.

coffee, tea, beer
Alyssa Modos
Pastry chef, chocolatier, and owner David Fletcher prides his creations on being made from scratch with fresh, local ingredients and no preservatives. To make Blu Boy even more impressive, every dessert is made in-house.

Chocolates

cookie, cake, chocolate
Alyssa Modos

When I entered the homey, intimate dessert boutique, I was immediately drawn to the handcrafted chocolates. Each chocolate was unique -- some had printed designs on top; others looked like marbled candies; there were even classic truffles.

After I collected myself, I decided to treat myself to a 5-piece box of chocolates. They had my full attention from the start, and gourmet chocolates are one of my favorite treats. The flavors I chose were Fleur de Sel (salted caramel), dulche de leche, raspberry, buttered rum caramel, and maple.

espresso, coffee, tea
Alyssa Modos

Although they were all delish, my absolute favorite (hands down, tbh) was the Fleur de Sel chocolate. It had the perfect ratio of chocolate to caramel to salt; I could have eaten 30 of these in one sitting. That is not an exaggeration.

Cakes, Cookies, and More

Alyssa Modos

The chocolates captured my attention from the start, but as I turned to admire the pastries, I was blown away once more. Cakes, pies, cookies, even macaroons and more. It all looked so decadent; I was plunged into a dreamlike (read: drooling) state.

All in all, Blu Boy is a pretty awesome little shop/cafe. If you're blanking on a first date idea, Blu Boy is the perfect spot. If you're struggling to come up with a Christmas gift for mom or your significant other, they have a holiday collection box of chocolates that is sure to be a 10/10 gift.

cookie, chocolate, cake
Alyssa Modos

Whatever you do, stop by Blu Boy during this year's 12 Days of Spoon. Make a trip to the most adorable chocolate shop on Kirkwood for some hot coffee and scrumptious cookies, cause baby it's cold outside. Happy Holidays!