The bakery staff begin making the donuts from scratch every day at 4:40 in the morning, so each and every of the 20 total flavors are in tip top shape by opening. These fresh, rich, doughnuts are only $1 each, $4.75 for a half dozen, and $7.95 for a dozen. Whether you are with your family, running late to class, or battling a hangover with your friends, Manni’s Donuts is the perfect start to everyone’s day.

Photo by Jason Cruz

My first tasting was of the Strawberry Iced and the Vanilla Iced, which was dyed green. Both had me in awe with their fluffy and fresh dough and rich frosting. With each smooth bite I could taste the dough, delicate frosting, and sprinkles. Not too much frosting or too little, and not to thin or too flakey, these yeast-based doughnuts were my favorite.

Photo by Jason Cruz

Manni’s bestseller, the Honey Dipped, was uncomplicated in looks, but perfectly balanced in taste. Without any sprinkles or colors, this simple treat made Manni’s famous because of its soft and smooth bite, ridiculous freshness, and perfect tang of sweet glaze. The Honey Dipped is also a yeast-based doughnut, which I learned is what leads to the fluffier feel and larger size. They definitely know their way around the kitchen!

Photo by Jason Cruz

Photo by Jason Cruz

The third doughnut I ate was the Red Velvet. This was the first Manni’s “cake doughnut,” not yeast-based, that I had sampled. It was denser and smaller, but definitely packed the punch. The red velvet machine-cut curry caused this doughnut to be deeply rich and satisfying. Warning: if you are a red velvet junkie, be prepared to buy ten!

Photo by Jason Cruz

Above, you will see a picture of me playing with my food (hey, my parents aren’t around). On my right eye (your left) is Manni’s Cherry doughnut. Same in density and “cake doughnut” type as the red velvet, the cherry was contrasting any doughnut I’ve ever eaten before. This doughnut was filled with the fruit flavor of a cherry and every bite was an explosion of flavor. Whether you are adventurous or not, step away from the common frosted with sprinkles and give this delicacy a try.

Photo by Jason Cruz

The fifth doughnut at Manni’s Donuts that I feasted upon was the Boston Cream. Not all Boston Creams are the same, and this was definitely a tier above the rest. The dough was semi-dense but not too thick, the cream was silky smooth, and the chocolate frosting on top was glistening. I am not usually one for cream or jam-filled treats, but once I took my first bite I couldn’t stop myself from eating half that very second.

Photo by Jason Cruz

Photo by Jason Cruz

The last doughnut I devoured was the Chocolate Peanut Butter. Coated in thin and well-crushed peanuts, this doughnut was also on the smaller and denser side. If you aren’t a peanut butter fan you should steer clear, because this doughnut was brimming with peanut buttery flavor. I could taste the subtle hints of chocolate, but the peanut butter was strong and rich in every single bite. I couldn’t believe I had scarfed down so many doughnuts, each with their own individual flavors and textures.

Photo by Jason Cruz

Although the name may deceive, Manni’s Doughnuts also offers breakfast and lunch options. There are 13 breakfast choices, seven omelettes, six lunch choices, and seven subs. Posted on the adorable chalkboard sign outside, there are also daily specials. Before leaving, I had a typical Bacon, Egg, and Cheese breakfast sandwich, but this BEC was anything but typical. My mouth was watering just staring at the eggs, melted cheese, and bacon strips cooked to perfection between a fresh and toasted bagel. Threw on a little ketchup and after one bite I was hooked. If you love breakfast foods, doughnuts, and a warm café, look no further than Manni’s Donuts.