Whether it be a date event, birthday or just one of those nights, there are going to be moments in your college career when you feel the need to go out and let loose. The best of those nights begins at one of the following locations, all of which take into consideration large parties, a thirst for alcohol, fun surroundings and proximity to dirty sixth. So if ever you feel like swapping out the typical El Arroyo, Fuzzy’s, Trudy’s basicness of pregames, try one of these spots for a guaranteed good time.

Polvo’s

Photo from 365austin website

Upon being seated at Polvo’s, you immediately feel as though you have arrived at Spring break in Cancun. The music is your classic array of Mexican club hits that surely will get you pumped up for the night. Throw some pitchers of margaritas in there, maybe some Dos Equis, and it’s already a party. Polvo’s also has a salsa bar with a wide variety of options to chose from; the perfect compliment to the endless refills of tortilla chips. The party goes all the way until 11pm, just in time to head to 6th. Call (512)-441-5446 to make a reservation for a large party.

Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun 7am-11pm
Location: 2004 S 1st St

Chinatown

Photo courtesy of austinchinatown.com

Sake, Sake, Sake, BOMB.

That’s right, Chinatown is the place to sake bomb before downtown. And while you do that, enjoy the kareoke that takes place Thursday- Saturday nights. Sing and drink and socialize with your friends before walking the two blocks to 6th. If you aren’t feeling the sake, try the flaming fish bowl drink. It comes with two straws and literally flames in the middle. Not to mention, the fried rice is probably the best in town if you want some grub. 107 W 5th St is calling your name.

Hours of Operation: Mon-Wed 11am-10:30pm, Thurs-Fri 11am-2am, Sat 11am-12am, Closed Sundays
Location: 107 W 5th St

Gloria’s

Photo from Gloria’s website

Margarita, Mojito, Mexican Martini, you name it, Gloria’s has it. AND there are “skinny ” options for nearly all of them. Ask for the back room to accommodate your large group. It’s secluded from the older crowd doing the salsa dancing on Friday nights, but still has that classic Gloria’s ambiance. And if after a few cocktails you feel like joining in on the dancing, I encourage you to do so. So stop by for some pre-downtown dancing to get you warmed up. Just be sure to get there on the early side if you’re going on a Thursday because they close at 10pm.

Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm
Location: 300 W 6th St

Maiko

Photo from maikoaustin.com

Located right across from Gloria’s and only a few short blocks from dirty, Maiko is a great spot to get those Asian-fusion cocktails and happy-hour sushi rolls and appetizers, all of which are available from 3pm til close. For a more chic and less rowdy of a pregame, perhaps for date events or a GNO, Maiko’s look is the perfect fit. Try the lychee martini to sip on, and order the sake mac and cheese for a snack. Yes, you can taste the sake… but it works.

Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs 11:30am-10:30pm, Friday 11:30am-11:30pm, Sat-Sun 5pm-11pm
Location: 311 W. 6th St.

219 West

Photo from 219 West website

Farther down on W 6th lies 219 West. With it’s night time cool vibe and menu that pairs meal options and drinks accordingly, 219 West is the ideal spot for upperclassmen and foodies looking for a good time. Although happy hour ends relatively early at 9pm on Thursdays and Fridays, and 8pm on Saturdays, there are plenty of fun menu options to keep you busy. $13 wine flight? Check. 219 West makes drinking fun. Especially when it tells you what to eat to enhance the flavor. “Sure, I’ll order that spinach and artichoke quesadilla with my red wine…”

Hours of Operation: Tues-Wed 4pm-12am, Thurs-Fri 4pm-2am, Sat 2am-12am, Sun 11am-10pm
Location: 612 W 6th St