Located just 10 minutes away from UCSD’s campus, Supernatural Sandwiches is a joint that dishes out unforgettable, Asian inspired, seafood sandwiches that deserves to be named one of the best sandwich restaurants in the city. With a motto of “Sea to Sandwich,” this seafood focused sandwich shop is not only focused on incredible tastes but is also a proponent of the Farm to Table movement dedicated to bringing the freshest foods to customers.

Supernatural

Photo by Christopher Song

Supernatural is nestled in a small shopping plaza and would seem rather unremarkable from the outside if it weren’t for the huge crowds it draws in daily. The inside of this little shop is a whole different story; a colorful menu written on chalkboard and the vibrant colors painted along the walls creates an immediate wow factor.

Supernatural

Photo by Christopher Song

The menu offers up numerous seafood sandwiches named after various mythological characters including the Minotaur, the Hydra, and Aphrodite. The Cthulhu, a lobster roll named after a part-octopus, part-dragon, humanoid, is one of Supernatural’s best. Served up in amazing, house-made thick, griddled toast, this sandwich is loaded with succulent lobster and coated with rich umami butter. One bite and you’ll be in love.

Supernatural

Photo by Christopher Song

The Kraken is a red Thai curry flavored crabcake sandwich served up in more of their amazing buttered toast. This a shop that definitely does not skimp on filling up their sandwiches with flavor exploding fillings. The Kraken has the immediate kick of curry followed by a sweet, acidity from chunks of marinated tomato that makes this not only one of the best sandwiches but one of the best crab cakes.

Supernatural

Photo by Christopher Song

This is a must try to all UCSD students and visitors to San Diego. Supernatural is worlds away from your ordinary sandwich joint and is guaranteed to change the definition of a good sandwich. Rich, buttery lobster and intensely flavorful crabcakes prove that seafood sandwiches are way more than just basic tuna melts.