In a world full of 3 minute meals and everything to-go, it’s easy to forget the way that food can bring people together, even for one night. Pop-up restaurants, also called supper clubs, have been a growing phenomenon in the States since the early 2000’s, and continue to draw unique crowds in cities all over the country.

The basic idea involves taking young, ambitious chefs and allowing them to showcase their talent to a group of adventurous diners. These dinners are all about getting people together to experience something new and different.

For many single young professionals, this culinary experience is kind of like speed dating, only without the dating. Pop-Up dinners are quickly becoming a popular way for young chefs to gain exposure in the field of hospitality while seeking investors pursuant to opening a restaurant or other culinary endeavors.

pop-up

Photo by Peter Maturo

Here in New Orleans, the recently established pop-up dining company Dinner Lab offers a unique experience to those brave enough to put down their Easy Mac, turn off the Netflix, and try something new.

Founder and CEO, Brian Bordainick, came up with the idea for Dinner Lab after deciding he wanted to mix things up in New Orleans in the after-hours scene. Now in 25 cities with over 15,000 members (and a waiting list), the company is breaking some serious ground in local food scenes across the U.S.

pop-up

Photo by Peter Maturo

Enormous creativity goes into the creation of the menus and transformation of unconventional spaces in order to fashion a distinct and engaging experience for diners. The several course menus for these dinners usually follow one common theme, and past venues have included old churches, warehouses, and even a boxing ring.

pop-up

Photo by Peter Maturo

DinnerLab offers membership fees of up to $175 per year ($125 here in New Orleans), which is steep for most college students, so be careful about what you can fit in your budget. However, for those closer to graduation and willing to venture from the beaten path, the price tag is a small price to pay for some of the most unique flavors New Orleans has to offer.

For more pop-up restaurants information, check out these articles: