Taco Mama, a fan favorite in locations like Tuscaloosa, Huntsville and Birmingham, has finally made its way to Auburn, Alabama. It has only been open for a week, and lines to get in are already stretching through downtown. So what's all the hype about? Keep reading for everything you need to know about Auburn's newest Mexican restaurant, Taco Mama.

coffee, wine, beer
Megan McKinstry

The Atmosphere

Taco Mama is dimly lit with many fun light fixtures and strings of holiday-like lights. The walls are adorned with funky artwork and objects including a vintage bike covered in twinkling lights. There are many framed magazine covers related to Auburn that set it apart from the other Taco Mama locations. Slow rock songs pulse through the speakers playing college classics from bands like The Killers and Dave Matthews Band. Large tables allow customers to sit with other customers, which increases the feeling of community. This also helps to provide more seating. The staff is friendly and helpful, always working with smiles on their faces. The casual environment is welcoming and makes the dining experience comfortable. 

The Service

The service at Taco Mama allows for a speedy, in-and-out experience. Customers wait in line to order and pay at the front. Servers then deliver the food and check up on customers throughout the dining experience. They help get refills and bus the tables after the customers are finished. This style of service allows customers to easily find an open table and receive their food quickly.

The Food

alcohol, liquor, wine, beer
Megan McKinstry

Taco Mama offers a wide variety of Mexican food with a southern twist. Taco Baskets and Burrito Baskets come with chips, salsa and a side. Sides include Honey Chipotle Corn, Ancho Chile Slaw, Cilantro-Lime Rice, Black Beans, Chorizo Refried Beans, Mexican Mac & Cheese, Queso and Guacamole. Customers can also choose from a variety of salads, or can build their own quesadilla, nachos, burrito bowl, tacos or burritos.

The Taco Baskets

Taco Baskets come with two tacos, chips, salsa and a side. The Ahi Tuna-Si is one of the most popular selections, composed of AAA Sushi grade Ahi Tuna, sliced and served raw with sriracha slaw, avocado and chipotle ranch on the side. Into the more basic tacos? No problem! The Cheezy Beef is a classic beef taco. 

The Burrito Baskets

Burrito Baskets comes with one burrito, chips, salsa and a side. One burrito favorite is The Big Client, filled with barbacoa, refried beans, queso, shredded cheddar, tomatoes and mild salsa ranchera. The Tree Hugger is a great vegetarian option as well.

The Salads

Looking for something a little lighter? Look no further than the Mama's Salad. Choose between grilled chicken, shrimp or flounder on a bed of mixed greens with shredded cheese, tomatoes, croutons and your choice of multiple delicious dressings. Taco Mama also offers a House Salad for the picky eaters.

Build Your Own

At Taco Mama, customers have the opportunity to be creative and build their own tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, quesadillas or nachos. Customers can select their choice of meat and then pile the unlimited toppings onto their creation. And no, guac is not extra at Taco Mama.

The Drinks

juice, cocktail, ice
Megan McKinstry

Taco Mama offers a long list of alcoholic beverages. Customers are able to start a tab and receive drink service at the table. Ice cold cervezas, both imports and domestic, are available by the bottle or by the bucket. If you're looking for wine, Taco Mama offers a house chardonnay, cabernet, pinot grigio and pinot noir. If you're a tequila lover like me, definitely try out the different margaritas, voted the second best margarita in T-Town, and soon to become the best in Auburn. Almost every flavor can be bought by the pitcher. Flavors include the house, skinny, pomegranate, watermelon, jalapeño or classic frozen margarita. They also offer sangria, and if you just can't decide, the sangrita, a margarita made with sangria. For those under 21, fountain drinks with free refills, Mexican bottled soda and bottled water can be purchased. With drinks like these, Taco Mama should be added to The Ultimate Student Guide to Eating and Drinking at Auburn University.

Spoon Tip: Tequila Tuesdays offer half price margaritas by the cup or by the pitcher

Megan McKinstry

So next time you're craving Mexican or a yummy margarita, check out Taco Mama located in the heart of downtown Auburn.