I take the word obsessed to a whole new level when it comes to food. My Instagram feed is filled with every possible food profile, my facebook is completely dominated by recipe videos, and my email inbox is constantly sending my food blog subscription emails to spam. Unsurprisingly, when I find a new Insta-famous restaurant, I'm thrilled, but actually going and trying the eatery for myself is even better. Nothing is worse than thinking that a trendy food looks amazing, shlepping into NYC, and waiting on the longest line imaginable, only to realize that it is just meh or even straight-up bad. Yes, posting the picture on my food insta, @bigredbites, is still fun, but the whole point of being a foodie is finding the best food. Not the coolest food, or the prettiest food, but food that tastes the best. So, the question here is this: are Insta famous restaurants worth the visit? 

In order to help all of you to avoid some of the mistakes I've made, here is a list of some of the trendy NYC spots I've visited, with my opinion on whether or not they are worth the trek. 

Becky's Bites - WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

If you're a fan of cream cheese, bite-sized treats, and upscale dunkaroos, this place is for you! From their savory spreads like Loaded Lox to their sweet spreads like Funfetti Birthday Cake, they truly have reimagined the uses of cream cheese. My personal favorite menu items are the childhood throwbacks like the S'mores and Chill and the Salty Side. Nothing is better than an awesome dip paired with the perfect dipper! Follow them on instagram @beckysbitesnyc to keep up with their seasonal flavors and promotions.

Dominique Ansel - WORTH IT

This bakery's products are unlike anything I have ever tried before. After tasting their frozen s'mores and their cookie shot, I understood why there is always an insanely long line to get inside. Trust me, you will thank yourself for being patient when you finally sample the desserts. My suggestion is to try a lot of different pastries and take a bunch home so you don't have to run back the next day!

Catch - GLAD I WENT BUT NOT GOING BACK

Isabelle Caine

Yes, the food is delicious. I've had the cinnamon roll pancakes from the brunch menu and the lobster mac and crispy rice from the dinner menu. It's all very tasty. However, it's overpriced, with extremely small portions, and the restaurant runs like a factory – they bring you in, serve you quickly, and then want you out. 

Milk and Cream Cereal Bar - WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

You may think that cereal is just cereal and that ice cream is just ice cream, but this ice cream is unlike any other. It is probably one of the best ice creams I've ever had. Based on the taste, you would think you're eating a bowl of cereal, but it's actually the world's smoothest soft serve. Try for one of their creations–I recommend Cookie Crisp Carnival or Banana Cream–and remember: the more toppings, the better!

Black Tap - NOT WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

The milkshakes are pretty, crazy, and pretty crazy, but before you can even get the perfect pic, the milkshake begins to melt. Then when you take a sip, it is a complete sugar overload. The burgers and fries aren't that great either. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with my visit. 

Levain - SO WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

There are lists that say that this is the best cookie in NYC, and there are lists that say this is the best cookie in the country. I would go one step further and say it is the best cookie in the galaxy. I have yet to find anything better than this cookie. It is moist and chewy on the inside yet crunchy on the outside. It is full of gooey chocolate and crisp walnuts...I could go on and on. 

Ben's Cookies - NOT WORTH IT

These are nowhere as good as Levain cookies. Ben's Cookies' claim is "chunks not chips," but for me, there just wasn't enough chocolate. The center had a huge glob of it, but the sides had none. I would not recommend going here, unless you happen to be passing the shop anyway.

Clinton Street Baking Company - SO WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

Everything here is delicious. I waited for over two hours to try their famous chicken and waffles with maple butter and their blueberry pancakes, and I was so happy I did. I would honestly have waited for 24 hours in the freezing cold just for one taste. They were that good. The candied bacon was unbelievable as well. This restaurant is absolutely a must.

Ample Hills Creamery - WORTH IT

Ample Hills has the most innovative and delicious ice cream flavors I have ever tasted. From the Munchies (pretzel ice cream with Ritz crackers, potato chips, pretzels and mini M&Ms mixed in) to Ooey Gooey Butter Cake (vanilla ice cream with chunks of St. Louis-style Ooey Gooey Butter Cake), there is something here for everyone.

Rubirosa - NOT WORTH IT

The idea of a pizza with pesto, marinara, and vodka sauce smothered in mozzarella cheese sounds great, but the reality doesn't live up to the idea. The pizza was almost like a cracker with different sauces, and a soggy cracker at that. It was definitely not worth the trip.

Big Gay Ice Cream - GLAD I WENT BUT NOT GOING BACK

Isabelle Caine

Everyone always talks about how amazing Big Gay is, so I am glad that I got to try it. However, I will not be talking about how amazing it is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my Salty Pimp Cone, but it was small (they only had one size) and extremely messy. Needless to say, I was a little salty.

Root and Bone - WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

If you like fried chicken, then this is your place. It's 10000000% worth the wait. Everything is so yummy. Especially the biscuits, OMG the biscuits. Amazing. Go. Go right now.

Molly's Cupcakes - NOT WORTH IT

They're just not such special cupcakes. I could have gotten one equally as good at my supermarket. It's really not worth the trip. 

Mighty Quinn's - SO WORTH IT

Isabelle Caine

This is the BBQ equivalent of Chipotle. Great food, great prices, and great sides. I recommend getting the two or three meat combo platter so that you can try a little bit of everything. Make extra sure to order the mac and cheese and the corn fritters!

DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections - WORTH IT, BUT BETTER WHEN WARM

Isabelle Caine

I really liked my cookie dough when I sampled a scoop outside of the store. I then waited over an hour in line, and I wasn't disappointed. But, I learned something important. I ended up having a little bit leftover, and when I pulled it out of my bag to eat it, it was warm, gooey, and so good. It probably can't be served this way, but oh man was it delicious. Try popping it in the microwave until it resembles a totally underbaked, delicious cookie.

Isabelle Caine

As a girl that loves food (and has great taste in it.. if I do say so myself), I have to say that a lot of the Instagram famous places in NYC are worth the trip. Every once in a while, you'll run into a disappointment, but these restaurants became famous for a reason. Go check them out, and let me know what you think at @bigredbites.