On the outskirts of Champaign past the Savoy 16 theatre, but not too far into the endless sea of cornfields, is a small patch of heaven: a pumpkin patch to be exact. Curtis Orchard is a family owned farm, planted only ten minutes off campus, which grows the most tantalizing apples and the cheeriest pumpkins in the area.

The Apple Orchard of My Eye

Photo by Lindsey Law

Although the atmosphere is family oriented, the overflowing rows of apples give students a break from fluorescent-lit grocery stores and replace the smell of KAM’S with the familiar scents of autumn: warm hints of cinnamon and cloves. Its tangy apple cider, sold in a variety of sizes, can replace your morning cup of hot tea or make a sweet and spicy base for a barn dance cocktail.

Inside the country store the homey wooden shelves are fully stocked with all kinds of apple butter, homemade fudge, flavored honey, and caramelized popcorn. However, the most tempting treats are the cinnamon sugar doughnuts and cinnamon apple fritters. These baked goods are served out of the bakery window on the double, shelved sizzling hot in their containers and just waiting to be devoured. Saying no to one of these decadent doughnuts is simply not an option; think of it as a pregame to the Holiday food season. Chase these sugary indulgences with a refreshing cider slushie, sold behind the checkout counter.

The Apple Orchard of My Eye

Photo by Lindsey Law

The Apple Orchard of My Eye

Photo by Lindsey Law

With homemade lunches being served from 11am-2pm every day, and 11am-4pm on weekends, it’s a one stop outing for food and good fall fun. Don’t miss out on the Golden Delicious, Jonathon, Ozark Gold and Red Delicious apples, now available to be picked directly off the trees.

The Apple Orchard of My Eye

Photo by Lindsey Law