If you plan on studying abroad in Berlin, you may think your diet will consist of potatoes, currywurst, and rotkohl. Thankfully, Berlin has become a melting pot of international cuisine with endless options of Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Italian eateries, markets, shops and restaurants.

The numerous waves of immigration for increased labor since the time the city was divided has given rise to its colorful culinary scene. There are a ton of options for every type of eater, especially those who are adventurous or vegetarian.

1. Cocolo Ramen

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

Take a walk on a Tuesday or Friday through the Türkischer Markt (Turkish Market) along the Landwehrkanal to buy your weekly produce and some Turkish delight. Once your feet start to hurt, go to Cocolo Ramen across the canal, in Kreuzberg, to grab a warm bowl of Japanese goodness.

2. ZULA Hummus

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

Zula Hummus is located in Prenzlauer berg, a quaint and unique neighborhood whose architecture dates prior to the allied bombings of World War II. Nestled on a street called Husemannstraße is this Israeli hummus joint that serves smooth, creamy hummus and fresh pita alongside ramekins of Israeli olives, pickles and s’chug.

3. SIRONI (Il Pane di Milano)

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

Sironi is housed in Markthalle Neun, a market hall built in the late 19th century in Berlin’s Kreuzberg district. Today, it is surrounded by a developing neighborhood with several trendy restaurants. Sironi is a bread stand in the middle of the market. You can pick up a whole Pane Bianco or grab a rectangle of pillowy, crispy focaccia.

4. Good Morning Vietnam

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

Some may recognize this spot from Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations episode in Berlin. The hype lives on. Enjoy inexpensive cocktails at Good Morning Vietnam as well as fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, coconut curry, and dishes like fried snapper in a cold, vinegary broth.

5. Green Rice

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

For more Vietnamese pho and coconut curry, wander the streets of Kreuzberg and look for Green Rice on Adalbertstraße. It’s another area of Kreuzberg that is undergoing major gentrification and attracting modern Asian restaurants alongside ceviche joints and other innovative concepts.

6. Si An

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

There are many cold nights in Berlin. I can’t think of a better way to spend them than with a big bowl of Vietnamese pho. Si An is located on Rykestraße in Berlin’s historic Prenzlauer berg district. You can sit on low, wooden stools as you slurp your way through Berlin’s long winter.

7. I Du Forni

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

I du Forni is a fun Neapolitan pizza place on Schönhauser Allee. No one comes here for the service, but the pizza is worth it. 

8. Hanok

Berlin

Photo by Emanuel Storch

Hanok is a Korean grill on Kurfürstendamm. Despite the high-end neighborhood, the prices are fair. Food comes in a hot stone bowl with several banchan or side dishes like kimchi and soy-glazed lotus root.