Earlier this week, on very official Spoon University business, my friends and I put our stomach capacities to the test at The Kitchen Sink in the Central West End. The Kitchen Sink, which serves Creole cuisine, is the self-proclaimed, “home of the unique sandwich,” but don’t let that fool you into thinking that’s all it has to offer. The menu is extensive, so as mere mortals, we had to narrow it down to just a few dishes.  Here’s the skinny on what we ate (every last bite of):

1. Corn Fritters

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

Oh hello, golden nuggets of deep fried corn. I almost didn’t see you there. This dish may not be a looker, but give it a chance, and you won’t be sorry. The outside was so crunchy that we’re currently fighting off offers from The New York Times and Washington Post to cover the bite heard ’round the table, but the inside (which is what really matters, right?) was melt-in-your mouth corn goodness. I like a fritter that makes me work for it.

2. Sweet Fries

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

It’s in my humble opinion that an aversion to sweet potato fries is a definite sign that you have no soul. I thought that sweet potato fries couldn’t get any better, until I inadvertently ordered these “sweet fries,” thinking that it was just a typo on the menu. I don’t get to say this often, but I would like to thank my lack of attention to detail for making this beautiful discovery possible. They start out with regular sweet potato fries, then toss them in a marshmallow glaze (please direct gaze to upper left-hand portion of photo for evidence). By the third one, I could already feel the cavities forming, but I was in too deep to care.

3. The IDK (I don’t know)

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

This dish embodies exactly what makes the Kitchen Sink so unique. If you find yourself overwhelmed by the menu or just in the mood to take a risk, go for the IDK. Every day the chef channels his inner Napoleon Dynamite and does whatever he feels like he wants to do, GOSH. This time it was blackened tilapia and grilled shrimp with vegetables over rice, and a liger on the side. Just kidding, there was no liger. It was unlike any of us from north of the Mason-Dixon line had ever tasted: sweet, tropical and smokey but with a definite kick. The only catch: no refunds allowed on the IDK – but we have a feeling you won’t be asking for one.

4. The Special Ed

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr.

I have a confession to make. I’m not proud of it, but I felt a pang of foodie’s remorse after ordering this sandwich. Phew. Now that that’s out of the way, I would like to introduce you to one of the most delectable sandwiches I have ever had the privilege of stuffing into my face. The Special Ed is a brisket sandwich with white cheddar cheese, red cabbage slaw and a house-made Russian dressing. So zesty. So cheesy. So meaty. So toasty. So right.

5. Four Horsemen

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

This dish is a dream come true if you, like me, become wracked with indecision the moment a menu enters your hands. The four horsemen has a little bit of everything (in order from left to right): Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Etoufee and Sausage, Beans and Rice (SBR). Our personal favorite was the Jambalaya, which has ham, chicken, and sausage with Creole seasoning and rice. Just a word of warning: it packs some heat –  the kind that builds slowly then spreads over your tastebuds like wildfire in a California forest. A close second was the Seafood Gumbo, which is made with chorizo, andouille sausage, crab, crawfish, shrimp and okra.

6. Peter Pan

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

This sandwich deserves a slow clap. Technically the Peter Pan is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but with a major upgrade: instead of regular old bread, they use two slices of French toast. The origins of the name remain unknown, but if I had to take a guess, it would probably have something to do with the fact that once this sandwich takes you to the Neverland of PB&J’s, you’ll never want to go back.

7. Chocolate Pancakes

kitchen sink

Photo by Jennifer Karr

These aren’t pancakes, they’re clouds of chocolatey goodness. They also come in vanilla for those resistant to change and strawberry for you well-adjusted folk out there.

average

Address: 255 Union Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63108
Hours: Sunday through Saturday, 11 am-10 pm