Although everyone knows the District of Columbia, its food scene is highly underrated. Since D.C. is a travel hub for people from all over the world, the food is eclectic and exotic, but also has some familiar foods. If you’re traveling to Washington, D.C. this summer, make sure you check out these restaurants.

1. Chaplin’s Restaurant

DC

Photo courtesy of @chaplinsrestaurantdc on Instagram

If you’re looking for a different approach to Asian cuisine, you should check out Chaplin’s Restaurant which is an unique ramen shop and bar in Shaw. An added bonus is that the restaurant is multi-level and has a dog-friendly patio. Be sure to start with the alcohol-injected dumplings and then try the classic Chaplin A.S.S ramen. If you can’t take the heat, try the Veggie Shio. This spot is great for masterfully crafted cocktails or for a full-blown dinner.

2. Kafe Leopold

DC

Photo courtesy of @megandettrey on Instagram

Tucked away in Cady’s Alley in Georgetown, Kafe Leopold will transport you to the sunny streets of Europe. If you’re feeling trendy, make sure to try the avocado toast: you’ll be eating some healthy fat and it’s a great picture for Instagram, too. If you’re looking for place to meet up with friends and grab a cup of coffee, this is that place.

3. Old Ebbitt Grill

DC

Photo courtesy of @roykimmusic on Instagram

Whether your visiting The Capital for a weekend or spending your summer interning here, if you love seafood, definitely make it a point to eat here. While it may be on the more expensive side and might be pushing your broke college or post college budget, it’s worth it. This seafood is so fresh you would’ve thought it just walked out of the sea. If you’re feeling stuffed from dinner, you’re in luck because the White House is nearby and you can walk off all of the food you just ate.

4. Farmers Fishers Bakers

DC

Photo courtesy of @farmfishbakedc on Instagram

Farmers Fishers Bakers are known for their crazy cool craft cocktails and you need to check out “first bake” in the morning between 7:30 am and 11 am. They offer a cheap, early-morning breakfast that is to die for. With a farm-to-table motto, all of the food is super fresh and you’ll be able to taste the difference. You’ll definitely leave having had a high-quality meal.

5. Jaleo

DC

Photo courtesy of @jaleobethesda on Instagram

Jaleo is owned by chef José Andres and is an amazing Spanish restaurant. When I ate here, I ordered the oysters and red wine sangria. It was my first time ordering oysters, and I must say it was an experience seeing the server shuck the shells and prepare them for me right at the bar, especially once I was a sangria or two in.

6. Toki Underground

DC

Courtesy of Instagram @tokiunderground

If you know you’re going to be in Washington, D.C. and you love Asian fusion, then this is the place for you to visit. However, make sure to make a reservation way in advance because of the long waits. You will never be able to eat just any ramen or dumpling again, that’s how good Toki Underground is. Trust me.

7. A Baked Joint

DC

Courtesy of Instagram @abakedjoint

If there is anything better than a bakery, it’s a bakery that sells alcohol. A Baked Joint is the sister company to the famous cupcakery Baked and Wired, which is also in Georgetown. A Baked Joint is like the crazy younger sibling: baked goods, craft cocktails and pizza Fridays. How could you go wrong?