Mornings usually call for a green smoothie or hearty bowl of oatmeal, but sometimes you need that sweet fix; and donuts are having their shining moment in San Diego. People are lining up to get some of the city’s best breakfast sugar bombs, and for good reason. New creations are pleasing everyone from vegans to sugar fiends, so we decided to take on the task of finding San Diego’s best donut shops.

Donut Bar

donuts

Photo courtesy of Tom Holmberg at tomsfoodieblog.com

On a normal day, the Donut Bar will have a line out the door, and it’s easy to see why. This is not your typical donut shop. Donut Bar is known for their unique display of donuts and a menu that changes constantly. Some flavors include crème brulee, Nutella, red velvet, somoa, salted caramel, and a Homer inspired donut. One of their most popular flavors is the Smore’s Big Poppa Tart: a smore’s Pop Tart is stuffed inside doughy goodness and filled with fudge. The S’mores Pop-Tart alongside the creamy fudge filling work well in the fluffy doughnut interior.

donuts

#spoontip: If you’re determined to get a donut, be sure to arrive early. Donut Bar closes once the donuts are sold out.

Donut Panic

donuts

Photo courtesy of zagat.com

Besides a clever name, Donut Panic is also great at glazed donuts. Along with traditional donuts, they offer vegan creations such as chocolate espresso almond, Earl Grey, maple bacon glaze, and even rosewater cardamom. Baker Linda Dami combines potato flakes mixed with flour, soy milk, sugar, salt, oil, and yeast. The result is a donut with a crisp outer shell and soft inside.

donuts

Photo courtesy of zagat.com

Nomad Donuts

donuts

Photo courtesy of nomaddonuts.com

This North Park shop serves creative donuts from Cheesecake Custard Charred Blueberry Lemon, Chocolate Custard Honey Peanut Butter Bacon, Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake, and Raspberry Lavender. Nomad even has an entire menu section dedicated to exotic vegan options with flavors such as Habanero Peach Guava, Coffee Maple, Ube Taro Coconut, Key Lime Prickly Pear, and Coconut Passionfruit. For you sticklers on the classics you’ll still be able to find the good ol’ flavors like old fashioned vanilla bean, maple, or chocolate glazed.

donuts

Photo courtesy of kirbiecravings.com

#spoontip: their menu is updated daily so check out their website or Instagram.

Peterson’s Donut Corner

donuts

Photo courtesy of zagat.com

The Peterson’s Pillow is the only square here and it’s a game changer. Known for a new spin on the cronut, this pillow comes in flavors such as: chocolate, maple bacon, and cinnamon sugar. They also offer a variety of donuts, twists, bars, and pastries. Every option here is giant and could easily feed a family of four…and we dare you to finish it.

#spoontip: This little joint is open 24 hours for late night cravings.

Devil’s Dozen Donuts

donuts

Photo courtesy of kirbiecravings.com

You won’t find any fancy combinations or crazy displays at Devil’s, but they are nothing short of gourmet. It’s all about the classic flavors done with quality ingredients: vanilla bean, cinnamon sugar, chocolate, s’mores, and churro bites.

donuts

Photo courtesy of kirbiecravings.com