Spring is around the corner and we all know that soon (hopefully) temps will rise above 50°, Hawaiian shirts will come out, and darties will begin. Luckily for us, South Bend has a whole new roster of restaurants open and ready to satisfy the cravings that come along with the warmer weather festivities. Wake up from your post-darty naps this spring and make your way to these new local hotspots.

1. Bowl of Pho

restaurants, South Bend, Notre Dame, food, spring, new restaurants

photo by @bowlofpho on Instagram

Pho is a traditional Vietnamese noodle soup, full of fresh herbs, veggies and thinly sliced meats. Make all of those ingredients locally sourced, authentic and vegetarian friendly, and you have Bowl of Pho. The causal environment is perfect for a laid back meal with friends, whether you are looking to warm up from the winter cold or craving a jolt of freshness to bring in the spring.

2. LaSalle Kitchen & Tavern

photo by LaSalle Kitchen & Tavern

Meet LaSalle Grill’s cooler, wallet friendlier, bourbon-soaked younger brother. Located on the third floor above the main restaurant, the tavern serves food every bit as quality as its ground floor counterpart, while also focusing on craft beers and their impressive collection of 120 whiskeys. Menus are seasonal so check ahead online for your favorite bites and brews.

3. Zing Japanese Fusion

photo by Zing Restaurant

Located in the middle of downtown Mishawaka, this newcomer is mixing traditional Japanese fare with local ingredients and flavor influences from around the globe. The restaurant itself is small, but it packs a big punch with specialty sushi rolls created by the owner, fresh sashimi, noodle bowls and entrees that combine the best of the midwest with his Japanese heritage. When spring officially arrives, enjoy your meal with a cup of rice wine on their outdoor patio.

4. Tapastrie

photo by @tapastrie on Instagram

From the owners of Fiddler’s Hearth comes this Mediterranean small plates gem specializing in traditional tapas dishes designed to share. Freshly shaved Jamon Iberico, hot roasted Pimientos or fried Croquetas filled with creamy béchamel are just a few are examples of the traditional Spanish dishes that create a Tapastrie meal.

Dine slowly, chat with your friends and keep ordering new flavors until everyone is full.

5. Temper Grille

photo by Temper Grille

Like Tapastrie, Temper Grille features smaller plates designed to pass around among friends. Head chef Sean Kelly describes the fare as “American Tapas,” featuring dishes like his Blackened Steak Bites and Roasted Cream Corn. Accompanying the food is Temper’s cellar of over 100 wines and 40 craft beers, which Kelly will help you pair with your plates to create the perfect experience.

A meal at Temper is an all around sensory experience and menus are always changing based on what is fresh and in season.

*Because of the focus on beverage and food pairings, Temper Grille is a 21-and-over restaurant

6. Moser’s Austrian Cafe

photo by @mosersaustriancafe on Instagram

Moser’s is the one stop shop for hearty, authentic Bavarian food. Platters of local meats and cheeses are followed by orders of Schnitzel and Spaetzle (delish Austrian drop noodles smothered in sauce). An added bonus- it’s all served by a friendly wait staff dressed in traditional Austrian dirndls.

If you are in the brunch set, be sure to try their build-your-own Bloody Marys topped with everything from olives and bacon to a whole corn dog. Bar options are listed weekly online.

7. Blaze Pizza

photo by @blazepizza on Instagram

This new fast-casual restaurant is perfect for a quick, custom pie. Following the make-your-own method of it’s Eddy St. neighbors Chipotle and Barbici, Blaze lets diners choose their ingredients- dough (gluten free or regular), sauce, and toppings-and then churns out customized pizzas in 180 seconds flat.

Whether you dine in or grab your pie to go, you are going to be in amore. When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie…

Want to learn more about where to eat in South Bend? Check out:

Top 10 Best Meals in South Bend, Indiana Under $10

Where To Take Your Parents For Dinner Near Notre Dame