Hopping on the CalTrain and heading up north for an Insta-worthy San Francisco weekend is a go-to activity for Bay Area students. You may be rolling your eyes, but who doesn’t want to check out the latest trendy food spot in the city? It’s all fun and games until you check your bank account balance on Sunday evening… yikes.

San Francisco

We all know the reality: not many college students have the dough to throw around in places other than Benson or Trader Joe’s (if we’re lucky). San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the US (number four, according to CBS News, with San Jose following close behind at number six). So, of course it’s the place to be.

Maybe it’s not a weekly occurrence, but if you have some extra cash and want to get off campus to a land far, far away… then keep reading. Check out these delicious and “very SF” places that will leave your taste buds wow’ed, your tummy full for hours, and your debit card not too tarnished.

1. Jane on Fillmore

San Francisco

Photo courtesy of @eatingthroughsf on Instagram

Jane is the it spot for young people in San Francisco. The smell of freshly baked bread and pastries will lure you in. Be prepared for a line… seriously, this place is yummy. Grab some avocado mash (pictured) and leave with a loaf of bread to take home (will feed for days). All the food is under $12.00 and will keep you satisfied for hours.

2. Honey Honey Cafe and Crepery

San Francisco

Photo by Molly Martin

Big portion sizes, cheap mimosas, and a local feel are some of the many draws to Honey Honey. People come for the delicious crepes and stay for the $4.95 mimosas and Bloody Marys. Savory or sweet, take your pick — but the savory breakfast crepe and the sweet blitz crepe steal the show.

3. Ramen Underground

San Francisco

Photo by Molly Martin

Like, bye Top Ramen, hello gourmet and authentic Japanese ramen. Ramen Underground is a must on those rainy days (or chilly evenings) in the city. The spicy miso ramen, which comes with spinach, chicken, green onion, and mushroom, is perfection. Add a hard boiled egg for $1.50 and thank me later.

4. Za Pizza

San Francisco

This hole-in-the-wall offers some amazing classic pizza with a fun and friendly environment. It’s the perfect place to grab a cheap slice of pizza or a whole pie to share with friends before going out on Hyde or Polk. The classic cheese and pepperoni are top notch, but more unique ones like the potesto (roasted red potatoes, garlic, and pesto sauce) are a favorite. Add Sriracha if you dare.

5. Bonita

San Francisco

Photo by Molly Martin

This cute little taqueria in the trendy Marina District is perfect for taco freaks (AKA everyone). All individual tacos are under $5.00 and the three “street style” tacos are $7.50. Squeeze some lime over the Baja-style fish taco, sip some MUST TRY red or white sangria, and you’ll be on the beach in no time.

6. Bob’s Donuts

San Francisco

Photo courtesy of @maddiemartin12 on Instagram

Just a few things to say about this place: donuts — all day, everyday. Bob’s is literally open 24-hours a day to serve up freshly fried goodness, so there’s no excuse to skip this spot. There is close to no chance you will be able to resist the smell of fresh donuts and sweet glaze while walking home after a long night on Polk.

Those who are able to stay strong and resist, please share your secrets (the rest of us will be drooling at pictures of crazy donuts around the country). Pair a 50¢ donut with a carton of chocolate milk and float on back to the 2nd grade.

7. Loving Cup

San Francisco

Photo courtesy of @dadaeats on Instagram

This place is genius — think upscale DQ Blizzards. Follow these simple steps to pure bliss:

1. Choose your base frozen yogurt (vanilla or chocolate).

2. Select a topping or two or four.

3. Watch them swirl your very own custom yogurt that is guaranteed to be demolished, by you, in no time.

You can also choose from predetermined masterpieces like the Salty Dog (vanilla froyo, pretzels, and salted caramel sauce). Prices start at $3.75 and go up depending on how may toppings you want. This may be the place to forget about your bank account.