Flavio has recently opened in Georgetown and offers a mix of modern dining with a classic Italian flare. When it comes to Italian food, I'm a picky eater. Growing up in an Italian family, I have been trained to know the difference between "good" Italian food and authentic Italian food. I've been to plenty of restaurants that claim to be authentic, but fall quite short. Flavio is certainly not one of these places; I felt like I was sitting in my grandparents' house eating the fried calamari, or even in my own house when I tasted the pasta. This is true Italian food and here are just a few reasons to get out and try Flavio next time you are in DC/Georgetown. 

pizza, cheese, sauce, crust
Hailey Maher

1. The Ambiance

pizza, cake
Hailey Maher

Flavio mixes the flavor of traditional Italian food with a modern setting. Located down a side road off M street (Georgetown's bustling main street), Flavio's tranquil ambience provides an escape from the city. It's rustic back wall and overhead lighting enhance the modern decor. And when the weather is nice, the side windows of the restaurant open, creating an even airier and welcoming atmosphere.

2. The Happy Hour

coffee, date, beer, tea, wine
Hailey Maher

Monday through Friday 4-7pm, Flavio has a killer happy hour.  Beers for $4, rail drinks for $5, and house wines for $4 paired with some of your favorite Italian antipasto sounds like it could make any weekday, even Monday, so much better.

3. The Location

vegetable, tomato, meat, bruschetta
Hailey Maher

Located off the main road in Georgetown, Flavio's location could not be more perfect for Georgetown students and really anyone in the DC area. Near the waterfront, a short drive/walk from the metro, and an even shorter walk from Georgetown University, Flavio is the perfect place for a dinner date.

4. The Decor

beer, cake, chocolate
Hailey Maher

Upon walking into Flavio, I was instantly taken by its decor. the walls along the bar and throughout the restaurant, even in the bathrooms, the walls are covered in chalkboard paint. The interior design-including the tables, chairs, and lighting- is so unique and combines classy with modern in just the right proportion. 

5. The Appetizers 

vegetable, cheese, caprese salad, dairy product, sweet
Hailey Maher

With antipasto ranging from calamari and mussels to bruschetta and stuffed eggplant, Flavio has some of the most flavorful appetizers in DC. Bruschetta is one of my favorites and Flavio did not disappoint. The bread had a crispy exterior with a soft middle topped with tomatoes, goat cheese, basil, shallots, and garlic. The mozzarella in the Caprese salad was milky and fresh and even more delicious when paired with the balsamic drizzle. When the calamari was brought out, I inspected it before taking the first taste. Typically, Italian restaurants over-fry the fish and an overabundant amount of oil remains. However, this calamari was coated and cooked to perfection. When I tasted it, I thought I had been transported into my Papa's kitchen eating his fried calamari

vegetable, tomato, meat, bruschetta
Hailey Maher

6. The Entrees

vegetable, meat, salad
Hailey Maher

Although my stomach was bursting by the time the entrees arrived, the smell of the pizzas and pasta were too overwhelming not to devour. To start, the pizza's crust was neither too thin, nor too doughy. The red sauce was tastefully seasoned and well cooked (you'd be surprised at how common it is for pizzerias to have uncooked or semi-cooked sauce).

ravioli, dairy product, flour, meat
Hailey Maher

The pasta was *out* of this world - the gnocchi, which can sometimes be too heavy and make you feel like you just ate 10 potatoes, was airy in the center and was paired with a light parmesan sauce. The mushroom ravioli was bursting with flavor. The combination of herb cheese, port wine reduction, white truffle oil and mushroom sauce made for a delicate paste dish. 

All in all, my meal at Flavio was an absolute success. Take a break from midterms, treat a friend, or have your parents take you here the next time they're in town!