If you live in California and haven’t had sushi – odds are, you’re doing it wrong. Bui, a sushi place located about two minutes down the road from Pepperdine, takes the cake for one of the best sushi spots that doesn’t break the college budget.

Some may even argue that the food is, at times, fancier than the outfits and styles of the people eating it. It’s the clash between “I’m going to walk in here in my LuLu’s and Nikes after SoulCycle” and “I’m wearing my formal dress to sushi after pictures on the pier.”

If you haven’t been to Bui, rest assured, students, you still have a week or two left to get your fix. And whether it be your first time or your twentieth, there are a few must-haves you’re going to want to try.

Miso Soup

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

It’s the signature appetizer for most sushi hotspots in the country and the little warm, white bowl at Bui is absolutely to die for. The Miso soup is made with miso paste, hot water, wakame (seaweed), tofu and garnished with green onions.

Edamame

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

For a simple snack before the main course, try the edamame topped with sea salt. If you are looking for something a little more unique, ask for the spicy edamame and get ready for a kick.

Ginger 

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

Any sushi extraordinaire knows that ginger is the perfect palette cleanser and a necessity when you’re tastebuds are being bombarded with so many different flavors. At Bui, a complementary plate of ginger and wasabi greets you the moment you sit down.

The Pepper Crusted Tuna Roll

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

Of course, there are many different rolls to choose from when you go out for sushi. And yes, the decision of which to choose can be a challenging one. But with avocado, cucumber, and shrimp tempura tightly wrapped between seaweed and rice, topped with pepper-crusted tuna and jalapeno salsa – how could you go wrong?

Rainbow Crunch Roll

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

If you’re the type of person who likes a little bit of everything, you’re going to want to try this. The Rainbow Crunch Roll is filled stuffed with yellowtail, salmon, and tuna in  soy paper with red onion, avocado and a tempura crunch. It provides an explosion of flavor that will leave you wanting more.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Sushi

Photo by Shannon Hansen

But what’s a good dinner without dessert? Garnished with berries, the flourless chocolate cake is the perfect end to a perfect meal.

Basically this place is bomb, and if you haven’t tried it before, please do yourself a favor and go ASAP.

Craving sushi now? Check out these: