For all you cheese lovers out there, college can be a barren, cheese-less landscape full of dry Arrillaga chicken and strange quinoa salads. But it doesn’t have to be this way. We have a bit of a thing for cheese, and we’ve sampled some of the best cheesy options in Palo Alto and beyond so you don’t have to. Here’s our definitive list of must-tries for everything cheese.

6. Gott’s Roadside Chicken Caesar Salad

stanford cheese

Photo by Chloe Rosen

I know what you’re thinking…starting a post about all things cheesy with a salad? But let me tell you, this salad is so much more than a salad: it’s an ode to all things Parmesan. Topped with a cloud of Reggiano shavings, this is caesar salad at its finest.

Cheesy Scale: 2.5

5. Pluto’s Mozzarella Moon Sandwich

stanford cheese

Photo by Chloe Rosen

Now, there are panini’s, and then there are Panini’s. This falls into the latter category. Many places on campus have great caprese options for a quick lunch on the go, but it’s hard to top the quality of Pluto’s iteration. Craving fresh mozzarella, tomato and pesto on the springiest focaccia, kissed by a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette? With Postmates or Door Dash, this sandwich can be in your mouth within 35 minutes of ordering. Do with this knowledge what you may.

Cheesy Scale: 3.75

4. Sprout Cafe Grilled Cheese Menu

stanford cheese

Photo by Chloe Rosen

I know it seems hard to believe that everyone’s favorite spot for a quick salad is a grilled cheese destination, but look no further than the entirely separate grilled cheese MENU for a bit of cheesy-bready action. This is where you come for artful cheese blending and tasteful side salads.

Cheesy Scale: 5.5

3. Local Union 271 Grilled Cheese + Tomato Soup

stanford cheese

Photo by Chloe Rosen

A new player on the DTPA food scene, Local Union 271 is the perfect spot for a nice lunch with your parents when they visit. And when that time comes, make sure to order the amazing grilled cheese with tomato soup…this thing is MASSIVE, and they don’t hold back on the ooey-gooey cheese. Although dippage is a little hard because the sandwich is 3 times as large as the bowl of soup, when you do take a break from all that cheese to take a sip of soup it is perfect: velvety, smooth and creamy.

Cheesy Scale: 6.8

2. Patxi’s Pizza

stanford cheese

Image courtesy of www.patxispizza.com

Pizza My Heart will always hold a special late-night spot in all of our hearts, but Patxi’s is playing a different game altogether. Although they have both thin-crust and deep-dish pizza’s, it only takes one look around the restaurant to check out what the cheesiest option is. Bonus points for stretchiness.

Cheesy Scale: 9.0

1. NOLA‘s Mac ‘N Cheese

stanford cheese

Photo by Chloe Rosen

Although NOLA’s is known as a bit of a special occasion spot, once you try their amazing macaroni and cheese you’re gonna want to put it regularly into your rotation of eat-out go-to’s. It just edges out Patxi’s for sheer oozy-gooey factor alone. NOLA’s has the mac and cheese your mother made you, but oh so much better.

Cheesy Scale: 9.2

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

1. CoHo Grilled Cheese Sandwich Combo will always hold a place in my heart for the most accessible cheesy fix. Just make sure they melt the cheese all the way and that the tomato soup is piping hot.

2. Opa! Flaming Cheese appetizer is a showstopper. A cast-iron skillet-full of caramelized, sizzling cheese with pita triangles for dipping.