Although we all love being a part of the renowned Ann Arbor food scene, sometimes having so many options can get a bit stressful. You’re craving a sandwich? Easy – Zingerman’s. But, what about Maize and Blue? Amer’s?? Belly Deli??? How about all the pizza possibilities? Pizza House, NeoPapalis, Cottage Inn, South U…have I made my point?

The opening of Ann Arbor’s newest burger joint, Elevation Burger, may seem to only add to these restaurant anxieties, but after a mouthful of their food, everything will make sense – I promise. Why? Here are the 5 reasons you should ditch Ann Arbor’s classic burger options for the new kid on the block.

1. It’s actually not a science lab.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Jennifer Gottfried

Don’t be fooled! After the first few passes by the new location on East Liberty, I wrote off this new restaurant chain due to its seemingly empty, scientific, and metallic ambiance. I mean, who wants to eat in a science lab? But, don’t fret, you can leave your goggles and lab coats at home because from the inside, Elevation Burger’s modern environment only adds to the experience. Ann Arbor is lucky enough to home the only 2 locations in Michigan (of the 31 Elevation Burgers in the US), so pop through that shiny door and take a look (and taste) for yourself.

Note: The screeching of the milkshake spinner at work might indeed remind you of orgo lab, but how can you complain about the creation of such a godly milkshake?

2. They’re raising the (healthy fast-food) bar.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Faith Horbatch

Or should I say, they’re elevating the bar (see what I did there?). Fast-casual food is quickly surpassing previous fast food trends, and Elevation Burger is already outsmarting even the best fast casual restaurants. Being the first organic burger chain, Elevation Burger will allow you to indulge in burgers, sandwiches, fries, salads, and milkshakes without feeling like your health is being compromised.

Their cattle are grass-fed, free-range, and organic, and their food is 100% trans fat free. But, to top it off, they’re all about saving the environment (like recycling their french-fry-cooking olive oil) and promoting great service (mostly due to their locally owned franchises and overall happy workers). So, c’mon Pancheros and Potbelly, get on that Elevation Burger elevated level.

3. Because you need to get over the death of Five Guys.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Jennifer Gottfried

Are you still mourning the loss? Well, stop. There are bigger and brighter things ahead, and Elevation Burger is one of them. Yes, we all loved Five Guys on State Street, but Elevation Burger really does outshine the old greasy, limited menu. Of course, you can still get your burger fix by making your own or choosing one of their pre-formulated options. But unlike other burger places on campus they cater to all diets, with lettuce wraps to replace buns, vegetarian and vegan burgers, chicken sandwiches – the menu really goes on and on.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Jennifer Gottfried

One of the major perks of Five Guys was the close-to-campus location that allowed students to grab a bite between classes. Elevation Burger is the new way to get a quick burger, but in addition to its stand-out location, the short wait and tasty food will give Fritas and Blimpy a run for their money (yes, I am comparing Elevation Burger to Frita Batidos and Blimpy Burger – can you tell how much I like it?).

4. The milkshakes.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Faith Horbatch

Burgers and fries go hand it hand, but we know the real star of the fast-food show…the shake. Elevation Burger’s dessert menu doesn’t stop at chocolate or vanilla, though. They have chocolate, vanilla, and coffee ice cream in-house for you to enjoy simply with a topping, as a float on top of your desired soda, or in a malt or milkshake with mix-ins. Game plan: Go get yourself whatever dessert your heart desires, and bring me back a coffee milkshake with oreo and chocolate syrup. You take Venmo, right?

5. It can be free.

Elevation Burger

Photo courtesy of digitaltrends.com

Two words: free food. Elevation Burger is one of the many restaurants affiliated with the new Pocket Points app that allows you to earn free food and other discounts while studying. In participating campus cities (Ann Arbor included), simply download the app, lock your phone, and accumulate points for as long as you can study without using your phone.

Free fries at Elevation Burger, BOGO pitas at Pita Pit, free Insomnia? Let’s get you signed up. Even if these don’t sound up your ally, there are so many more discounts available with the app, and I’ve found that even using Pocket Points is a motivation to study more and use my phone less. It’s like a mini competition with yourself to see how long you can go…and then you get to reward yourself with food.

And though you’ll always gain a certain amount of points per minute while on campus, more students using the app translates into more points accumulated per minute. So, downloading will help your studies, increase your free food intake, and lengthen the life of your phone battery. Insta addicts and foodies, this app is for you.

Elevation Burger

Photo by Jennifer Gottfried

Oh – you’re still reading? I’m flattered, but I thought you’d be on your way to Elevation Burger by now…what are you waiting for?