My boyfriend’s birthday was fast approaching, and I wanted to find somewhere special to celebrate. After meticulous research, the restaurant I kept coming back to was The Eddy. Located in the lovely East Village, this perfect date spot has all the qualities I had been looking for; a romantic atmosphere, remarkable food and drinks, and a distinctive dining experience. So grab your special someone, and enjoy an evening you won’t forget.

1. The atmosphere is beautifully intimate

date spot

Photo courtesy of www.theeddynyc.com

The atmosphere of the dining room sits between higher-end but still approachable. The Eddy does not bother with the cavernous, trendy atmosphere that’s common in popular New York restaurants, but instead, it’s very small, minimal in its design, cozy and polished in its lighting and decor.

2. The cocktails are deliciously innovative

date spot

Photo courtesy of www.theeddynyc.com

The reviews I researched raved about the quality of the cocktails at The Eddy, so naturally, my expectations were quite high. My boyfriend tried The Cup, a cocktail made of plum gin, ginger, Arolla Stone Fruit Liqueur, cucumber, and lime, and I ordered the Deep Sea Colony, concocted with shochu, honey grappa, violet liqueur, concord grape, and lemon. The fantastic, inventive blend of ingredients made for a simply delicious drink, and the presentation was stellar, with intricate garnishes and beautiful glassware used to showcase the beverages.

3. The food elevates simple ingredients to form incredible flavors

date spot

Photo courtesy of http://www.theeddynyc.com/

Right upon first glance at a menu (or first glance your neighbors’ entrees), you can really tell the amount of creativity and care put into The Eddy’s dishes. All of the selections proficiently fuse ordinary ingredients to bring out the best possible flavors.

To start, we sampled a perfectly buttery crab toast with guajillo peppers and a creamy cilantro aioli. The aioli was the perfect offset to the spicy peppers. Then, big, fluffy spheres of ricotta gnocci arrived with fresh tomatoes and grated cheese garnishing the plate. Despite its size, the ricotta was light and airy and stood out from many similar dishes I have tried in the past. Last, and perhaps the best, was a ribeye with brie fondue and charred potatoes and green onions. This was not your standard steak-and-potatoes dish; instead, the brie fondue melted into the perfectly-cooked steak to create deliciously rich meat, the charred potatoes added just enough crunch and saltiness, and the green onions brought sharp freshness to the dish.

4. The attentive service makes your evening special

date spot

Photo courtesy of theeddynyc.com

Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu options and consistently checked up on us throughout the evening. I had noted in my reservation that we were celebrating my boyfriend’s birthday, and our server was kind enough to bring us two complimentary cups of amaretto after our meal. As if the cocktails and meal weren’t amazing enough, the wonderful service truly made The Eddy an exceptional experience.

5. You’ll be wanting to come back before you even leave

Lingering after dinner with our complimentary amaretto, my boyfriend and I marveled at this find, and thought about how if we lived in the city, this would become “our spot.” That sums up how wonderful the experience was; we were already planning for our visit back before we even signed the check. If you’re looking for an intimate and delectable experience to share with a special someone, The Eddy is the perfect place for you.