While packing for your study abroad trip to Italy, you might think "How could pizza, pasta and wine ever get old?" I know I did. However, during my ten week stay in the eternal city this summer I got homesick (something I didn't expect) and craved anything resembling America. 

I had eaten basically an all-carb diet for weeks and needed a change. Throughout my stay in Rome I found some good spots to satisfy my American needs, whether it be through atmosphere or menu items. Here's a list of some American things I missed and where you can find their substitutes in Rome.

1. Cheap Mixed Drinks (aka Not Wine): The Drunken Ship 

Address: Piazza Campo De' Fiori 20

What to order: The Spanking cocktail

In the bustling square of Piazza Campo De' Fiori you'll find The Drunken Ship, an American pub-style bar offering American university students discounts with their student IDs. They celebrate American holidays and host themed parties, so be sure to check out their events schedule for fun American raves.

2. American Pie: Lo Zodiaco 

Address: Viale del Parco Mellini 88/92

What to order: Apple Strudel 

Whether you're missing America or not, Lo Zodiaco is a must. Along with stunning views of Rome from the hill Monte Mario, Lo Zodiaco restaurant offers apple strudel on their dessert menu, which is sure to satisfy any apple pie lover. 

#SpoonTip: Be sure to book a reservation ahead of time to get a table with the best views of the city.

3. Fried Chicken: Chicken Hut 

Address: Via Daniele Manin 18/20 (downtown) and other locations

What to order: Alllll the nuggs

"We only have ONE LOVE - QUALITY FRIED CHICKEN," says Chicken Hut, a European-wide fried chicken food chain. How more American could it get? From nuggets to wings to sandwiches, Chicken Hut has you covered.

4. Taco Tuesday: Abbey Theatre Irish Pub

Address: Via del Governo Vechhio 51

What to order: Tacos and Tequila Shots 

Near the famous Piazza Navona is Abbey Theatre Irish Pub, which offers customers "Taco Tuesday" themed specials of tequila drinks, nachos and tacos.  It may not be Flaco's, but The Abbey will always bring good food and fun to your Tuesday.

#SpoonTip: Keep up with their Facebook page for other American food and drink special.

5. Beer and Burgers: Open Baladin 

Address: Via degli Spechhi 5/6, zona Campo dei Fiori

What to Order: Capri Burger with Pecorino Chips  

With over 40 craft Italian beers on draught, a selection of 100 bottled national beers and an extensive menu of specialty burgers, Open Baladin covers two very important American basics.  Its comfy atmosphere will send you right back to an American brewery and it is a perfect spot for lunch, dinner or just a drink. It's sure to have you feeling like this:   

Don't get me wrong, Italian food is delizioso, so eat as much of it as you possibly can. However, sometimes you need a little break to go back to your American roots. 

In bocca al lupo!! (Good luck)