UC has some amazing food options on and around campus and we get even more all the time, but there are some food places we just need closer to campus. I mean, eventually you meet your Skyline and Chick-fil-A quotas. So, here is the list of five fast food restaurants that students at UC just need in their lives. 

1. Ben & Jerry's

cookie, coffee, beer, cake
David Zambuto

Who doesn’t love a big scoop of Half Baked ice cream on a hot day? So who wouldn’t want a Ben & Jerry’s on or near campus? With more than 60 flavors, Ben & Jerry’s is one of the top ice cream brands in the United States and the rest of the world for that matter.

Yes, you can buy Ben & Jerry's by the pint but there is no comparison to a scoop of fresh churned ice cream in store. On top of that, the nearest restaurant is 16 miles away—that is just unfair to all the ice cream lovers on campus. Even though Graeter’s and UDF are amazing, it's hard to top Ben & Jerry’s, which is the main reason why we need one closer to campus. 

Nearest Location: 16 miles

2. Tom + Chee

sandwich, bacon, cheese
Lexi Nickens

Yes, there is a Tom + Chee in Newport but who wants to drive fifteen minutes away to get grilled cheese when we could have it a five-minute walk away. Especially since they have the best grilled cheese around (besides my mom’s of course). They use top-quality ingredients to create different variations of the classic grilled cheese sandwich.

They even make soup for dunking and salads for munching. They also make grilled cheese donuts (yes, you read that right), which is a donut sliced in half with cheese and other toppings wedged between the slices. It might sound like a strange creation, but it is truly amazing. Tom + Chee is already loved in Cincinnati, so why not create a location closer to campus?

Nearest Location: 2.1 miles 

3. Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen Sundae

Mr.TinDC on Flickr

I grew up with a Dairy Queen five minutes from my house so the chain holds a special place in my heart, but that’s not the only reason we need one closer to campus. Dairy Queen has $5 lunch specials where you can get a full meal and ice cream. That is totally within a college student budget.

Yes, it may not be the healthiest option, but getting the blizzard of the month makes it worthwhile. They also have ice cream cakes for every occasion, so if we get a Dairy Queen on campus I may need to find a few more reasons to celebrate.

Nearest Location: 7.8 miles

4. Steak 'n Shake

Don't knock HEAVEN until you've tried it

Ross Catrow on Flickr

Number four on the list of five fast food restaurants UC needs is a no-brainer to me. UC needs more quality burger places near us since Hwy 55 can get pricy and Burger King doesn’t always cut it. Steak and Shake is another budget friendly option with 24 meals under $4.

They also have so many milkshake options making it a great place for a burger and shake. They are usually open 24/7 for when you get those late-night munchies. With their amazing prices and hours, it is obvious that UC simply needs a Steak and Shake. 

Nearest Location: 6.4 miles

5. Zoup!

w4 red pepper & tomato soup

jules:stonesoup on Flickr

When I first heard of Zoup! I thought it was just another Panera, with high prices and delicious food, but then I went for the first time and was proven wrong.

Yes, they have soup, salad and sandwiches but their soup is literally award-winning. They have hundreds of soups on rotation, so every time you walk in you can try something different. I'll admit, they are a little pricier than the other places on this list but they are definitely worth the cost. I was surprised by Zoup! and I think UC will be too if we ever get one closer to campus. 

Nearest Location: 2.4 miles