To a William and Mary student, Flex and Express are the ultimate forms of currency. However, while the places around campus that accept our pseudo-cash are great, they are few in number and can quickly become boring.

Unfortunately, Williamsburg is not exactly known for its food culture, especially for a college student on a budget. Also, student’s most frequented spots lack variety. That being said, there are some awesome eateries nearby that won’t burn a hole in your wallet.

6 Crabs

affordable

Photo by Catherine Kraft

This locals’ secret will give you major bang for your buck. From crab legs to fried oysters, 6 Crabs serves up some of the freshest seafood in the ‘Burg. The service is quick, but ordering ahead of time will definitely ensure that your food is ready when you walk through the door. The portions are huge for their dirt-cheap prices.

Get the crab cakes, which come with fries and hush puppies to-go, and you won’t be disappointed. A true no-frills hole in the wall, 6 Crabs doesn’t offer much seating as it is mostly take out. If you’re in the mood to sit, grabbing a seat at an empty table can be a nice change from campus scenery.

Food for Thought

affordable

Photo by Catherine Kraft

If you’re looking for a diverse menu and a spot that makes an effort to take your allergies into consideration, Food For Thought is the place for you. This eatery serves interesting, flavorful dishes and offers options that cater to many different diets. Pickier eaters will be satisfied by their extensive menu.

For a twist on an old favorite, try the Wine Country Grilled Cheese, made with creamy brie, fresh strawberries and apples. For great prices, large portions, and good service – truly the trifecta- stop by Food for Thought.

Nawab Indian Cuisine

affordable

Photo courtesy of Nawabonline.com

When you walk through the door and inhale the strong aroma of exotic spices, you can tell exactly what you are going to get: a delicious, authentic Indian meal. W&M students, faculty, and staff alike flock to Nawab for their delicious food and great value.

Can’t commit to one dish? Go for the lunch buffet, which offers various different options to nosh on. With an extensive menu, ample seating and friendly servers, Nawab is hard to beat.

Dog Street Pub

affordable

Photo by Catherine Kraft

Dog Street Pub might rest in the middle of CW, but it isn’t just for the tourists. This historic bank turned gastropub offers large portions with a diverse menu, so bring a friend and be prepared to share. Dog Street offers various seating arrangements, so you can feel comfortable eating alone or dining with a large group of friends.

The Ploughman’s Lunch is a great place to start, whether you choose to split it or not is up to you. Dog Street’s main attraction is their vast beer list: come for the food, stay for a local brew.

Second Street, an American Bistro

affordable

Photo by Catherine Kraft

Second Street is another restaurant that lies off the beaten path. This bistro offers flavorful dishes and a calm atmosphere. Thought it may seem like it will require a wad of cash, it has a fairly casual environment and is actually very affordable. For a great meal, grab a seat at one of the many tables in this restaurant.

Come here for a “fancy” dinner with your friends, or a truly sensational date night. Try the seasonal duck and mushroom flatbread pizza, which features duck confit, garlic scented mushrooms, and truffle oil. With pleasant service and mouth-watering dishes, you’ll definitely leave happy.

Visiting another campus? These articles will send you and your taste-buds in the right direction: