In addition to affordable sandwiches, Hummingbird Café on Northside is known for having some of the freshest, most refreshing smoothies around Berkeley. Their smoothies are packed with both fresh and frozen fruit, rich sherbet, and very little ice — a combination that makes these smoothies much smoother than Jamba Juice’s. To complement classics like the Maui Dream and Blueberry Swirl, Hummingbird recently added 3 new smoothies and juice blends to their delicious menu, and Spoon had to go down and try them.

1. Bingo Flamingo

smoothies

Photo by Andrew Chang

This new smoothie is a very berry-packed mix of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries blended with coconut sherbet. The sherbet makes the smoothie thick and satisfying, while the four different berries keep the smoothie tart and refreshing. As with all Hummingbird smoothies, it’s topped with a scoop of orange sherbet, blueberries, and sweetened dried coconut.

2. Fruit Cocktail

smoothies

Photo by Andrew Chang

This concoction blends orange juice, orange juice blossom, carrot juice, apple juice, and banana. Not exactly a smoothie, the Fruit Cocktail is still a refreshing complement to any sandwich that will give you your daily dose of vitamin C. Prepare your taste buds for a well-rounded trip of tart citrus and fruity sweetness that tastes nothing like the canned fruit cocktails you had as a kid.

3. Energizer

smoothies

Photo by Andrew Chang

Wake yourself up with a blend of strawberries, pineapple, mango, blueberries, banana, yogurt, and coconut. This is a balanced smoothie with a tropical sweetness from the mango and pineapple and a tanginess from the berries that complement the creamy yogurt and sherbet. The sugar from all of these different fruits will surely give you a quick boost.

smoothies

Photo by Andrew Chang.

These 3 new smoothies bring Hummingbird’s selections to 13 different smoothies to try. With so many different and delicious ones to choose from, you have every excuse to trek up Euclid and treat yourself to some of Berkeley’s best smoothies.