Unlike most major cities, many people who live in Los Angeles have never set foot Downtown. This is such a shame because Downtown LA is rich with historic architecture and cultural attractions, as well as sports and entertainment events. With its mix of art, fashion, food, and culture, DTLA has become a hot destination.

The mega success of the original Smorgasburg in Brooklyn has given birth to the LA version. The large and impressive list of vendors make Smorgasburg LA a must see and a must eat destination.

So gas up your ride and get ready to feast on our list of 21 dishes that make the drive to DTLA more than totally worth it.

1. Cold Buckwheat Soba with Dashi Cucumbers and a Shoyu Egg

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

This dish offered by We Have Noodles is an absolute culinary delight. The broth is smooth and flavorful and the egg (which is hard boiled and then marinated in soy sauce) is awesome. Chef Darren has a background in fine dining but loves street food and he has found an amazing way to bridge the gap with flavor, sophistication and mass appeal. Follow them on instagram to find out more about their pop up dinners in and around downtown LA.

2. Cubaono Sandwiches

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

You have never had a Cuban sandwich like this before. They take slices of Genoa salami, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and ham and press it inside steamed pork buns. These cubano sandwiches have a crispy, crunchy crust that you would expect from a great Cuban sandwich, but with a totally unique flavor. Even über famous food critic Jonathan Gold is a fan.

Last week they collaborated with Carnitas El Momo Acosta (whose sticky confit pork was recently admired as one of the top 25 tacos in LA by LA Magazineon a special Cubano. And next week they will be collaborating with Kalan Kitchen featuring their Pork Adobo. 

3. Pork Adobo

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

One of my absolute favorite dishes, not just at Smorgasburg LA but ever. This Filipino pork dish offered by Kalan Kitchen is well seasoned and tender, the rice is a perfect texture with flavor that makes you want to just keep eating it.

4. Pork and Beef Tongue Skewers

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Another delicious offering from Kalan Kitchen that exceeds expectations. These skewers are marinated well and very flavorful.

5. Pozole

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Soup in the summertime? If it is Chef Ted’s pozole then hell yeah.

Regarded by LA Weekly as the pozole that will make your abuelita jealous, this dish offered by Calo Provisions lives up to its reputation and then some. Pozole is quite a labor intensive dish to make (because of its many ingredients and many layers of flavors) and is usually reserved to be served at Chichano family celebrations. I can’t adequately describe how deep, smooth and flavorful the broth is. I thoroughly enjoyed every spoonful even though it was literally 100 degrees in LA that Sunday.

6. Soyrizo Tamales

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Confession time: I have never tasted a tamale I actually liked. Usually I find the filling to lack any real flavor.

That was until I met Chef Ted and tasted his soyrizo tamales. Every component of the dish is layered with flavor and the tofu is marinated with herbs and spices in a way that completely fools meat lovers into thinking it is meat. Seriously, it was not until I had finished the whole thing that he told me it was tofu. I’m still in shock.

7. Esquite with Coriander Butter, Whipped Cotija Cheese, and House-made Chile Dust

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Who doesn’t love Mexican street corn? Chef Ted’s version is simply divine. Coriander butter gets mixed into fire roasted corn with whipped cotija cheese gently rolled on top, which is then heated by a blow torch. The final dusting of house made chili dust gives it an authentic and unique flavor with just the right amount of heat.

8. Strawberry Passion Fruit Shortcake

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

This was positively the best dessert offered at Smorgasburg. Owner Sara uses fresh passion fruit she picks up early in the morning from the farmer’s market in Santa Monica. She creates a creamy dreamy passion fruit curd I literally want to bathe in. It is layered with fresh whipped cream, sweet short bread crumble and fresh strawberries.

9. Pastrami Sandwich

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Any one who knows me knows how much I love pastrami. Ugly Drum delivers a tasty sandwich you’d surely enjoy. Ask for your mustard on the side as it has quite a kick. I love it, but too much will overpower the delicate flavor of the pastrami, which is the star of the show.

10. BBQ Chicken & Ribs

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

The chicken and ribs are both tender and generously drowned in a house made BBQ sauce made with only 5 simple ingredients. Trust me and ask for extra napkins. Black Sugar Rib Company is where you need to go to get these guys.

11. Pulled Pork Nachos

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Prepare to have your mind blown again by Black Sugar Rib Company. These nachos are amazing! The pulled pork is tender and delicious and the BBQ sauce will have you licking your fingers one by one.

12. Jalapeño and Cheddar Bagels

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I was born and raised in New York so it takes a very special bagel to impress me, but Maury’s delivers. You can tell right away that the bagels are freshly made by their perfectly chewy texture on the inside and crunch on the outside. The flavor of jalapeño and cheddar really excites your palette. Owner Jason topped mine with a slice of fresh tomato and a cream cheese that I fell in love with. It had a slight lemony flavor that I am now addicted to. Seriously, why haven’t I been putting lemon in my cream cheese all this time?

13. Venice Cold Brew

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Admittedly I am not a huge coffee drinker. I only drink it occasionally and even then it’s always with some sort of delicious variation of syrup: chocolate, vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut.

As I was strolling by the Venice Cold Brew they convinced me to give their coffee a try straight up – no syrup, no whipped creaming topping, no sugar, nothing but cold brew coffee fresh from Columbia: beans and water. And you know what? I loved it.

Their simple recipe of spring water and the best Colombian coffee is hard not to love. Their process removes oils, bitterness, and chemicals from their coffee. The result is delicious, fresh tasting coffee with absolutely no aftertaste. AND no coffee breath.

14. Filet Mignon Beef Jerky

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I am going to tell you right out the gate that this stuff shocked me and exceeded my expectations in a major way. When I usually think of jerky I think of my favorite childhood snack – you know, that greasy, chemical laden strip that oozed orange goo when you squeezed it? But rest assured my friends – this is nothing like that jerky.

Three Jerks Jerky is made from the best quality cuts of filet mignon and marinaded with all natural ingredients. You can actually read everything on the ingredient list and it tastes delicious AF.

They have 5 amazing flavors: Original, Hamburger, Maple Bourbon Churro, Chipotle Adobo, and Memphis Brand BBQ. This jerky is so good that the creators got the funding needed to create their jerky dreams from billionaire Damon John on ABC’s Shark Tank.

And if that isn’t awesome enough… they are coming out with a line of premium burgers that can be shipped directly to your door.

15. Trap Queen (Singaporean Chili Soft Shell Crab Sandwich)

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

This Singaporean chili soft shell crab sandwich made by Summer Crab Co. is named after one of your favorite songs to bump in the car – TRAP QUEEN. The sauce is so tasty with just the right amount of spicy kick. It is served with crispy cassava chips that are totally addictive.

16. Sticky Chicken Wings

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

These should really be named crack wings – that’s how good they are. The chicken wings are fried to a nice crisp and then tossed in a sticky spicy sauce that I seriously want the recipe for. They have turned me into an addict and I am longing for more.

17. Pork Belly Banh Oui

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

The Vietnamese sandwich, called a bánh mì, is a product of French colonialism in Indochina, combining ingredients from the French (baguettes, pâté, jalapeño, and mayonnaise) with native Vietnamese ingredients, such as cilantro, cucumber, and pickled carrots and daikon. Banh Oui makes a kick ass version of the sandwich with the most flavorful pork belly ever.

18. Pepperoni Pizza

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Pizzanista knows how to make a tasty pizza. The crust is crispy, the sauce is well seasoned, and the mozzarella cheese is fresh bubbly stringy gooey perfection.

19. Lobster Sandwiches

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

If a picture is worth a thousand words than I shouldn’t have to say anything. Just look at all that delicious lobster meat clawing its way out of the sweet and tasty bun. Red Hook Lobster imports both its delicate lobster and its one of a kind buns all the way from Maine – simply because you can’t get huge lobsters and buns like these ANYWHERE on the West Coast.

20. Sticky Mango Rice Ice Cream

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

If you have never tried ice cream from Wanderlust than you have no idea what you are missing. They say ignorance is bliss, but not in this case. Wanderlust has reinvented ice cream for me. It is made with all natural ingredients and my favorite flavor Sticky Mango Rice just happens to be completely dairy free and vegan but you would never ever guess that from the taste of it.

This ice cream is creamy, sweet n’ delicious and you must – yes MUST – get it on an Ube cone to truly experience the genius behind their culinary creations.

21. Brown Sugar Frozen Pudding

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I am a big fan of pudding and little spoon frozen pudding brings back all kinds of sweet childhood memories. The texture when frozen is that of ice cream but when thawed is that of pudding. It’s like getting two treats in one.

Bonus Items:

On a 100 degree day there is nothing better than an ice cold beverage to keep you cool in the summer heat. A list of the best dishes from a visit to Smorgasburg is not complete without a notable mention of the best beverages to sip on.

22. Agua Fresca

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Todo Verdes serves up some super delicious and secretly healthy fresh juice drinks with a mix of fruits and chia seeds. My absolute favorite is Strawberry Rose. It tastes exactly like it sounds but BETTER. I swear, drinking roses never tasted so good.

23. Aqua de Piñata

Los

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Honestly if this was all I had to drink for the rest of my life I’d be too happy. Made by Calo Proviosions, with fresh diced fruit and Chia seeds, this drink is too delicious.

#SpoonTip: As if you needed one more reason to visit Smorgasburg LA, they have a new parking garage for more than 4,000 cars and you can park there for free for 2 hours.

What are you waiting for?