Somerville is filled with many great restaurants and Tufts students are lucky to have access to such amazing food. In no specific order, here are the restaurants that Jumbos have to visit before graduation:

#SpoonTip: To all our alumni and family coming back to campus for the end of year festivities, make sure to hit some of these places before you go home!

1. Amsterdam Falafel Shop

tufts

Photo courtesy of @rishi989 on Flickr.com

All you need to remember to do is “Crush the Balls” to maximize the amount of space for toppings in your pita or over your salad. With a huge bar full of an amazing variety of sauces and toppings, this falafel shop gets a big thumbs up.

2. Dave’s Fresh Pasta

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

This place not only serves fresh Italian foods, but features a mini-market on the side, regularly offers cooking classes, and has many wine tasting events (paired with cheese!). Though named after its pasta, Dave’s offers a huge selection of sandwiches that take the spotlight.

3. Anna’s Taqueria

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Open until 1:30 on Friday and Saturdays, this place has delicious burritos, quesadillas, and tacos to satiate your late night cravings. Fresher and more authentic than Chipotle, and you don’t have to worry about E.Coli. ‘Nuff said.

4. Boston Burger Company

tufts

Photo by Julia Press

With burgers like the 420, Artery Clogger, and Mac Attack, there’s no wonder this place has so many diehard fans (We’re looking at you, Guy Fieri). My personal favorite is the Sophie, which is tame compared to the burgers piled with onion rings, deep-fried mac and cheese, and peanut butter. Be prepared for a major food coma after.

5. J.P. Licks

tufts

Photo by Renee Chiu

Known to be a fan favorite of Bostonians, J.P. Licks offers a huge selection of homemade ice creams that vary from the basic flavors to the creative monthly flavors. Their menu also includes sherbets, sorbets, and dairy free ice cream.

6. Diesel Cafe

tufts

Photo courtesy of @sushiesque on Flickr.com

Diesel Cafe is the perfect place to study before final exams or meet up with friends to grab a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. The pool table, photobooth, and decorations add to the overall chill atmosphere. And their sandwiches (try the Monkey Wrench) are beyond unreal.

7. Tenoch Mexican

tufts

Photo by Renee Chiu

Tacos, burritos, tortas (Mexican pressed sandwiches), and more. Your food is always made to order and you get to eat it hot and fresh. My personal favorite is the asada torta because of the huge piece of melted cheese in the middle of the steak and the heat from the jalapeños. This is definitely a place you MUST visit.

8. Cafe Mami

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Located by Lesley University in Porter Square, this small store has the best rice bowls around Tufts. Though it’s a little further than Davis Square, it is definitely worth the T or the longer walk. If you don’t know what to order, the oyakodon, yaki don, and salmon yaki don are some of my favorites.

9. Frozen Hoagies

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Frozen Hoagies has a food truck that can be found around the Boston area and a store located right by Tufts University in Somerville. You can customize your own ice cream sandwich with a huge selection of interesting cookie and ice cream flavors (combo inspo here). The portions are massive, so sharing is encouraged.

10. Posto

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Posto is a great place to go for a fancier night out with friends (or to impress your parents). They serve great pastas, like the short rib gnocchi, and amazing wood-fired pizzas. With this location near Tufts, you really don’t need to go to the North End to get fantastic Italian food.

11. The Painted Burro

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

The Painted Burro is a great place to get a variety of different Latin American dishes in Davis Square. Taking a modern twist on traditional recipes, their dishes range from chilaquiles (shown above) to a BLT & cheese taco to chorizo nachos.

12. Yume Wo Katare

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Writers for Spoon Tufts love Yume wo Katare (evidence here and here). This tiny shop in Porter Square has crazy long lines for a good reason: the bowl of ramen is filled to the brim with thick, chewy noodles, fatty pork slices, and a rich pork broth.

13. Bagelsaurus

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Located in Porter Square, this shop makes delicious handmade, slow-fermented bagels. They offer a variety of different bagel flavors, spreads, and bagel sandwiches. And yes, they are as good as New York bagels.

14. Noor Mediterranean Grill

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Noor’s menu consists of a variety of dishes from fattoush salad to beef kebabs to chicken shawarma. Definitely one of the best Mediterranean food spots (with huge portions – more bang for your buck) and is located right in Davis Square.

15. Mr. Crêpe

tufts

Photo courtesy of mrcrepe.com

Offering savory and sweet crepes, this cute shop is perfect to grab a bite to eat with friends without having to go into Boston. With a variety of different topping combinations and the option to build your own crepe, you can really cater your order to your own tastes.

16. Renee’s Cafe

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

One of the best breakfast and brunch places in town, Renee’s Cafe offers omelettes, eggs Benedict, pancakes and more. With huge portions and amazing breakfast foods, this restaurant is definitely worth it.

#SpoonTip: Renee’s is cash-only, so make sure to have some on you or stop at the bank ATM just down the street.

17. Yoshi’s Japanese and Korean Cuisine

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Yoshi’s offers salads, noodles, sushi and more in a menu that has over 140 different items (here’s a guide to help you order!). Though it is a little more expensive compared to other restaurants around Tufts, it definitely satisfies the craving for quality sushi and Japanese food.

18. Redbones BBQ

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

There aren’t many restaurants that serve barbecue in Boston, but Redbones is one of them and it is located right in Somerville. Better yet, it’s authentic and delicious enough to satisfy even our pickiest Texan friends. With sandwiches, ribs, barbecue and more, this place has huge portions and LOTS of meat.

19. Petiscos

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Though this restaurant is slightly further from Tufts, it offers amazing food and authentic Latin American cuisine with dishes ranging from empanadas to fajitas to pupusa plates. The best part? Huge plates of great comfort food.

20. Kungfu Tea

tufts

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Offering a variety of hot and cold drinks, Kungfu Tea is a great place to get bubble tea with friends. After choosing the type of tea and toppings you want, you can customize the amount of ice and sugar you want in your drink. Personally, my favorites are plain boba milk tea, boba oolong milk tea, or winter melon tea.

And that’s a wrap! Somerville and Medford have amazing restaurants that Jumbos definitely should take advantage of. Have you visited all of them yet?