We all know how real the “Queen’s Bubble” can be, but for those of us who are feeling a little adventurous, it’s just a short ferry ride to Wolfe Island: the perfect destination for biking, fishing, and of course, eating.

One of the island’s hidden gems lies just a minute’s walk from the ferry’s dock. Though it’s been around for over seven years, The Wolfe Island Grill was recently revamped by new owners Casey and Nicole Fisher, who have managed to turn it into one of the coolest spots on the island.

wolfe island

Photo by Rose Ferrao

If you can manage to find an empty seat, the back patio is the perfect place to soak up the sun. Complete with its own private dock, it’s the perfect place to come after an afternoon of boating (or for those of us who are less fortunate, the perfect place to take scenic pictures with your friends).

wolfe island

Photo by Rose Ferrao

The restaurant’s atmosphere is the ideal mix of “treat yourself” and “welcome home” that comes from a sleek, polished interior and a relaxed back patio, both made that much better by the warm, friendly service. From letting us pick our favourite colour of drink umbrellas to chatting about the amazing playlist being piped through the speakers – the waiter’s own, I soon discovered – it felt like being at a next level version of your local bar and grill.

wolfe island

Photo by Rose Ferrao

Although service can be a little slow, the menu helpfully uses turtle symbols to mark off items that take longer to make and rabbit symbols for those that will be out in approximately 15 minutes or less, making sure you don’t miss your ferry.

If you choose to go with something that takes a little more time, don’t worry – it’s far from being a hardship to sit outside with a margarita, chatting with friends or listening to the bands that frequently perform on the outdoor stage.

wolfe island

Photo by Rose Ferrao

The menu’s clear standout, as told by the fact that six out of seven people at my table ordered it without consulting each other first, is the grilled chicken club. This sandwich features smoked bacon, Wilton aged cheddar, organic lettuce and Roma tomatoes all on a French baguette with roasted garlic aïoli, which both sounded and tasted like heaven.

The meal came complete with an equally delicious bowl of mushroom and Pecorino Romano soup with house-made croutons, although the available soups change frequently depending on what’s locally available.

wolfe island

Photo by Rose Ferrao

If sandwiches aren’t your style, The Wolfe Island Grill also puts their own twist on more classic grill fare. Their Black Angus burger is made with local, grass-fed beef and can be topped with anything from lettuce and tomato slices to smoked bacon and marinated portobello mushrooms.

Once your stomach is satisfied, you can continue to explore the island or hop on a ferry back to the mainland. There’s no rush to do everything in one day – after a meal at The Wolfe Island Grill, I can guarantee that you’ll be back soon.