Oren’s Hummus Shop is home to the most authentic, flavorful, and drool-worthy Medaterrian food in town. A native of Israel’s Mediterranean Coast, owner Oren Dobronksy opened Oren’s Hummus Shop in order to bring some of his Israeli roots to the Silicon Valley.

hummus

Photo courtesy of Oren’s Hummus Shop on Facebook

The five guiding principles of their food are authenticity, freshness, health, convenience, and sustainability there is something for everyone at Oren’s. My vegan little sister, my father aka the “bottomless pit,” and my veggie-shy mother all found common ground in the food at Oren’s.

There’s really no way to go wrong in terms of ordering, but for starters, you obviously have to go for a hummus. With six different variations to choose from, and warm homemade pita bread to accompany each, you can easily fill up on this creamy, nutrient-dense appetizer.

hummus

Photo courtesy of Laney Emerson

Try to restrain yourself and leave room for the main course. My go-to dish is a kabob (chicken, beef, or veggie) because it comes with two sides. The choice of beef, chicken, or veggie is up to you. I can vouch for the chicken and veggie, both of which are roasted to perfection, and I imagine the beef is no different.

hummus

If you don’t go the kabob route you can go the rice bowl route, the shakshuka route, or the pita sandwich route, all of which are delicious options. The shakshuka seems to be a Yelp favorite, but the pita sandwiches offer up some tough competition.

hummus

Photo by Jackie Szeto

Whatever you choose, sides are a must. With 16 different options including fire-roasted eggplant, tabule, labane, and marinated beets it’s hard to settle on just a few. The falafel, Moroccan carrots, and sweet potato fries are my favorites, but again you can’t go wrong.

hummus

In addition to their sit-down dining Oren’s Hummus offers take out. You can order a full meal to go, or simply take a tub (or 3) of the hummus home with you. When you shamelessly finish them in a week, try this DIY hummus recipe.

Oren’s has another location in Mountain View, and a delivery only location in Belmont. If you do visit the one on University however, make sure to get there early – especially on weekends. It’s a small place and it can get pretty busy. I promise though, it’s most definitely worth the wait. Bonus, the pricing is super reasonable and won’t break the bank.