Ever since Batch Cafe & Bar opened downtown, I’ve always wanted to try it. I have seen so many pictures and posts on social media, so I was excited to finally see what all this hype was about. I decided to bring along my friend, Sam Kaplan, as another set of taste buds.

According to Kade Mislinski, one of the owners, the inspiration for opening the restaurant was in order to emotionally connect two particular foods from his childhood: doughnuts and grilled cheese. Mislinski believed that these comfort foods were the perfect items to base the restaurant on. They’ve also incorporated various alcoholic beverages to the menu including, scotch, rum and whiskey.

Kaplan and I decided to start our brunch with a classic. We order the Homer Donut, which is one of the best-selling doughnuts at the restaurant. This doughnut was inspired after the classic doughnut that Homer Simpson eats.

batch

Photo by Caroline Solomon

After, we each ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, but these grilled cheese sandwiches are no ordinary sandwiches. There are so many different options and you can even build your own! I recommend the OGD, which is a glazed doughnut with grilled cheese on top. It was the perfect combination of savory and sweet! Plus, each sandwich comes with homemade kettle chips!

batch

Photo by Caroline Solomon

Meanwhile, Kaplan ordered a sandwich that combined two of her favorite foods: mac and cheese, and grilled cheese. “This sandwich was the most amazing thing I’ve ever tried,” Kaplan said. If that does not get you to try this place, I do not know what will!

batch

Photo by Sam Kaplan

Batch also specializes in their Boozy Cereals. For only $10, you can satisfy your taste buds with an alcohol and cereal combination. I know this sounds strange, but each combination is crafted to perfection by blending specific flavors together.

batch

Photo by Caroline Solomon

In addition to the great food, the atmosphere was unique and comforting. Each table was spread out, so you do not feel too crowded. The decor incorporated alcohol bottles, which was an interesting touch because it reflected back on the menu. Also, the service was great. The workers were extremely friendly and made the customers happy to be there. I would definitely recommend Batch to anyone!