In case you haven’t realized, Christmas is only about a month away. This means it is time to get into the holiday spirit and there is no better way to kick off the season than visiting the Toronto Christmas Market. Located in the heart of the Distillery District, one can find everything from mulled wine, to European Christmas treats, and classic Canadian-style foods for the homebodies in us.

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

This year, the market is running for a whole four weeks from November 20th to December 20th. You will have to do a few trips around the market before you can even begin to consider what you want to buy. Just remember not to eat anything before going because it is guaranteed that nearly every item you buy will be edible.

To prepare your body for the mind-blowing, hard-to-pass-up experience, check out some of these money-worthy foods:

Pretzels

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

We all love carbs, don’t deny it. Fresh and salted pretzels will take your carb addiction to another level  just add some butter and wait for an out-of-world experience. At the Christmas Market, the pretzels are massive, so be prepared to share if you want to have room for more food.

Mini Donuts

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Who doesn’t love a classic bag of mini donuts? It’s perfect for sharing with whoever has tagged along for this Christmas experience.

British Candy 

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

If you have never had the privilege of visiting a British candy shop, here is your chance. British sweets and chocolate bars will convert you away from American candies.

Fudge

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Fudge is a classic  when you don’t know what else to get, you always know that this creamy dessert will have your back. There are countless flavours, so prepare yourself for getting more than one.

Eggnog

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Christmas and eggnog are synonymous with one another. Small plastic cups are filled with Dujardin V.S.O.P. brandy, spice-infused eggnog, and topped with spices for decoration. The shots are small enough and free so you can have more than one, or three.

Other Drinks

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Don’t be embarrassed if you want more than one, just remember a long winter is ahead and Christmas shopping is right around the corner. A rich, warm red wine steeped in traditional Christmas spices is the best remedy when you are feeling cold. Mulled wine may be for the adventurous, but it is well worth the reward.

Curry Wurst

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Let out your inner German and go for the country’s favourite fast food, curry wurst. Essentially it’s a pork sausage seasoned with a ketchup and curry mixed condiment. So simple yet so delicious, this is one of my first stops at the market.

Turkey Legs

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Imagine a drumstick the size of your head with the flavour of juicy smoked turkey. One of the most sought after foods at the market, you can’t leave without trying it.

Poutine, and other things Canadian

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

For those who are less adventurous and would rather play it safe, no worries. Canadians make sure that the basic grilled cheese and poutine are available. Add a beer or hot chocolate, and you have a classic Canadian meal to keep you out the winter chills.

Soup 

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

Forget about Netflix and Chill, if you are out and about on a winter evening, stop by and enjoy a warm bowl of soup or chili.

German Baked Goods

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

One more essential stop is the German bake shop Stickling’s Bakery, providing you with all your essential Christmas baked treats. The sight and aroma of fruit & nut cakes, hazelnut macaroons, spitzkuchen (chocolate covered soft gingerbread triangles), vanilla crescents, and marzipan-filled or plain Stollen (sugar covered Christmas fruit cakes) is hard to ignore.

Chimney Stacks

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

A pastry that is baked while wrapped around a wooden cylinder, resulting in it looking like a chimney. Add your own personalized touch with options such as chocolate pieces, sprinkles, or sugar and cinnamon.

Chocolate

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

A visit to the Toronto Christmas Market and Distillery District is not complete without visiting the new chocolate restaurant, Cacao 70. To chocolate addicts, beware, you may feel faint when you walk into this paradise.

It may be best if you let someone else pick from the menu, as the number of chocolate-y options are impossible to choose from. For those who think cheesecake reigns supreme, try the cheesecake crepe. You will never again think of cheesecake and chocolate in the same way again.

Fun and Games

toronto christmas market

Photo by Hana Dibe

The Christmas Market isn’t only for us “mature” folks. There are countless activities for the young and old. Go round and round on the carousel or ferris wheel, but make sure you haven’t eaten too much beforehand.

If you are hopeless at finding your way around the big city, commonly referred to as the ‘6ix’, follow these directions to the Christmas Market.

If you are on a tight budget, make sure to check it out during the week days as there’s a five dollar charge on Saturday and Sunday.

Happy eating and happy holidays!