Leaving Washington D.C. after graduation, or even just leaving for the summer before returning to classes in the fall? Our city has so much to offer in the food sphere, combining flavors from the south and food trends of the north, and with international influences too.

Some places are classics in the capital and some are newbies. Either way, you need to make sure you make a reservation or swing by to get your favorites before it’s too late.

1. Ted’s Bulletin

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of tedsbulletin.com

There are the much-Instagrammed house-made pop tarts, and there’s also an entire menu if you want to stay for a meal. Regular customers know the best part — the all-day breakfast menu which includes a ‘Walk of Shame’ breakfast burrito perfect for curing a hangover. And with the boozy milkshakes, you just might need it.

2. Founding Farmers

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of foundingfarmers.com

Has anyone ever turned down an invite to Founding Farmers? Nope. Exactly. Get yourself there ASAP.

3. Old Ebbitt Grill

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of ebbitt.com

Situated right by the White House, there are few places quite as iconic in D.C. as Old Ebbitt Grill. The classy, wood-furnished interior, paintings of D.C. scenery and a lengthy food (and drink) menu make it a place to go before leaving the capital.

4. Compass Coffee

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of @compasscoffeedc on Instagram

Started by two Marines, Compass Coffee has mastered the art of coffee making. Every coffee bean is roasted and brewed with the ultimate TLC, and you can even watch these men hard at work at their Shaw location that epitomizes coffee shop ambiance.

5. The Tombs

Washington DC

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Because the 99 Days Club will end soon, and what other place will serve salad on a pizza? Also, their classic cheeseburger is a thing of beauty.

6. Baked & Wired

Washington DC

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

Does the magic of Baked & Wired even need to be explained? Georgetown Cupcakes, go home.

7. Ben’s Chili Bowl

Washington DC

Photo by Alex Vu

When 2 am hunger hits after a night of dancing and being in a crowded bar, Ben’s Chili Bowl is the place to go. Completely messy, but completely worth it.

8. Sticky Fingers Sweets and Eats

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of stickyfingersbakery.com

A lesser-known shop, but well worth the trip to Colombia Heights for this vegan restaurant and bakery. They have a variety of the classics vegan-ified (cupcakes, brownies), as well as dairy-free milkshakes, meat-free burgers and other snacks. You can also buy their yummy cookies at Glen’s Garden Market.

9. Any of the food trucks at Farragut Square

Washington DC

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Monday through Friday from about 11 am to 2 pm, there are at least 15 food trucks parked alongside Farragut Square downtown. Dumplings, burritos, gyros and so many options that no matter you are craving, you’ll be able to find it here. The best part? You can sit on one the park’s benches and enjoy your meal immediately after getting it.

10. Cherry anything

Washington DC

Photo by Emma Delaney

Cherry blossoms are the quintessential Washington D.C. sight to see. Braving the tourists to see the trees really works up an appetite to have a cherry cupcake, martini, pasta or other menu item inspired by the spring.

Washington D.C. is home to not only Obama, the Nats and the Smithsonian collections, but to amazing restaurants, cafes and food stores that will be missed by anyone having to move out of the capital.