Seattle is one of the food hubs of the US, including one of the largest markets in the country — Pike Place Market. While one of the most famous places to visit in Seattle is the original Starbucks (a must-see for sure), there are plenty of other must-visit food stops in the bustling Pacific Northwestern city.

Some of the best foods in Seattle? Salmon, coffee, and apples, without a doubt. However, there are also numerous local restaurants and cafés that house a variety of must-have dishes. On a college student budget, the Space Needle restaurant may be out of the question, but there are plenty of budget-friendly eats in Seattle.

Dungeness Crab Roll at Pike Place Chowder – $9.45

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

While Pike Place Chowder may be most famous for their chowder, their seafood rolls are also spectacular. Juicy Dungeness crab doused in lemon juice and sandwiched in a crispy sourdough roll, this crab roll is one of the best in Seattle. Located in the heart of Pike Place Market, Pike Place Chowder is a must-visit for every foodie. And, while you’re there, grab a bowl of their famous smoked salmon chowder ($5.95 for 8 oz).

Piroshky at Piroshky Piroshky – $5.50

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

Piroshky: a Russian pastry classically filled with meat or vegetables. However, this Pike Place piroshky stand sells everything from sweet pastries filled with apples to a fish-shaped pastry stuffed with smoked salmon ($5.50), one of their most famous. There’s always a line, so be sure to get there before 1 pm to guarantee a warm smoked salmon piroshky.

Doughnuts at Top Pot Doughnuts – $1-2

Hand-Forged Baby!

A photo posted by @toppotdoughnuts on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:41am PDT

Probably the most famous doughnuts of Seattle, Top Pot boasts over 40 “hand-forged” types of doughnuts. Their coffee is also hand roasted and pairs perfectly with their wide variety of doughnuts. These doughnuts are so good, even President Obama stopped in for a couple dozen.

Croissants and Macarons at Le Panier – $2.95

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

Le Panier has been churning out authentic French pastries, breads, and sweets since 1983 in its original Pike Place location. They have the perfect baguettes for munching on during a stroll through the market, or buttery, flaky croissants ($2.95) for a true Parisian breakfast. Their macarons ($2.00 each) come in various flavors including pistachio, hazelnut, coffee, and a seasonal pumpkin perfect for fall, and are some of the best macarons in Seattle.

World’s Best Mac & Cheese at Beecher’s – $6.50

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

There’s a reason why it’s called “World’s Best Mac & Cheese” — it really is the world’s best. Made with rich, creamy Flagship cheese, no one makes mac and cheese like Beecher’s. Their café and cheese shop in Pike Place Market even has windows to their cheese making room, so you can watch them create the cheese while enjoying your own cheesy treats. Plus, there are samples of their house-made cheese available to enjoy.

Cupcakes (and Ice Cream) at Cupcake Royale – $3.95

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

Cupcake Royale, a local cupcake and ice cream shop, houses cupcakes and ice cream made with no preservatives using as many local ingredients as possible. Some of the local flavor favorites include lavender, chai cinnamon (seasonal), and the “Royale with Cheese” cupcakes, and Stumptown coffee, Oregon Hill strawberry, red velvet cupcake, and Washington hazelnut brittle with salted ganache ice creams.

Burgers, Fries, and Shakes at Dick’s Drive-In – $7.35

Dick’s Drive-In is the perfect place for a quick bite to eat. You can get an entire meal (Deluxe burger, fries, and a shake) for $7.35, and it’s extremely filling. The burgers are juicy and the buns are made locally, which also means they’re made fresh every day.

They’re also open until 2 am, so you can always rely on Dick’s for that perfect midnight burger and fries craving. There’s no denying that Dick’s is a Seattle favorite. Oh, and it was featured in Macklemore’s music video for “White Walls.” Pretty cool, right?

Ice Cream at Molly Moon’s – $5.50

seattle

Photo by Paula Wangadi

For more unique flavors, Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream is the place to go. Boasting Seattle favorites like Stumptown coffee (Seattle really loves its coffee), honey lavender, and balsamic strawberry, as well as seasonal flavors like cinnamon, raspberry hard cider sorbet, and vegan salted caramel for fall, Molly Moon’s is a true Seattle destination, no matter the time of year.

Matsuri Dog at Gourmet Dog Japon – $4.99

Hot dog time!   A photo posted by pamalamshabam (@pamalamshabam) on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:45pm PDT

Seattle’s version of the famous “Japadog” of Vancouver, BC, Canada, Gourmet Dog Japon serves combinations and toppings that you could never imagine. From their Yakisoba topped hot dog to their Seattle dog lined with cream cheese – you can’t go wrong with anything you order. The most popular of their exotic hot dog combos? The Matsuri Dog. It’s basically a regular hot dog topped with Japanese mayonnaise, seaweed strips, carrots, and Teriyaki glazed onions. It may sound strange, but trust me, it all works magnificently.

Sevilla at Caffè Fiore – $3.95

seattle

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

Starbucks is great and all, but when you’re craving more of a local feel, Caffè Fiore is the place to go. Their Sevilla is a rich, dark chocolate mocha combined with just enough orange zest to bring a citrusy zing to the decadent chocolate-coffee combination. All of their drinks are made of entirely organic coffee. Their little cafés are also the perfect place to read a book, but be forewarned — they don’t offer wifi.