22%. Does this number sound familiar? No, it’s not just the discount that local DC businesses are offering on April 14th, but it is also on average how much less women earn compared to men. Now that’s a big discount…but on my paycheck.

April 14th is  Equal Pay Day. Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) in 1996 to increase public awareness of the gap between men’s and women’s wages.

Don’t feel bad if you didn’t know about it (like me). Here is a little history to inform you about American women’s ongoing journey to equal pay:

• President John F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act into law in 1963
  • At this point in time women were earning a measly average of 59 cents to the dollar compared to men.
  • Over forty years later, women are more kickass than ever, holding nearly half of today’s jobs, representing a growing number of breadwinners in their families, and also working in positions and field that have been traditionally occupied by men.
  • Yet, today, women still only earn about 78 cents on the dollar compared to men (22% less)
  • The gap is even greater for African-American and Latina women, with African-Amercan women earning 64 cents and Latina women earning 56 cents for every dollar earned by a Caucasian man.

As a woman in college, getting the same education, working equally as hard and being just as capable as any male peer of mine, I find this both sad and scary. We all were empowered by the #LikeAGirl campaign this winter, so come on ladies, let’s not allow ourselves to get paid “like a girl” anymore. Now, we, women (and men you can show your support too #heforshe), have to stick together and help draw attention to this ridiculous issue. As we say goodbye to Don Draper, Peggy Olson and Joan Holloway on AMC, President Obama agrees that “it’s time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a ‘Mad Men’ episode.” It’s about time that all dimensions of the workplace catch up with the 21st century.

Come show your support at these local DC spots on April 14th and snag some awesome deals.

Pizzeria Paradiso (3282 M St NW, Georgetown) — 22% off pizza orders for women if you mention the EPD deal when your server takes your order.

Dacha Beer Garden (1600 7th St NW) – 22% off certain beers

The Heights (3115 14th St NW) – 22% off all menu items plus a free Dolce Rosa cocktail if you mention the EPD deal when your server takes your order

DCanter (545 8th St SE)– 22% off any wine purchase

La Tomate (1701 Connecticut Ave NW) – 22% off all pasta dishes and entrees all day

Some non-food related deals as a bonus:

Rent the Runway (3336 M St NW) – 22$ off in store orders at the Georgetown location

Pure Barre Arlington (1024 N Garfield St, Arlington) – 22% off single class passes all day

Urbanstems (www.urbanstems.com) – 22% off signature mix promo code EQUALPAYDAY